Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Questions...

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
1) I have my os and programs on my C: partition. Everything else is in other partitions: music, pictures, files--everything. Is there any reason I can't just copy my C: drive to a folder on my external HDD and just restore it from there if anything goes wrong? Would everything work properly, all the drivers load, etc?

2) What does VFD (display) stand for--variable flourescent display? THANKS!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) You need to physically copy the disk structure to an external drive and then copy that back. Just copying the files on their own won't work. A program such as Norton Ghost will do this both ways.

2) A vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) is a type of display used commonly on consumer-electronics equipment such as video cassette recorders, car radios, and microwave ovens. Unlike liquid crystal displays, a VFD emits a very bright light with clear contrast and can easily support display elements of various colours. It's basically what sticks the countdown time up on the microwave, the current time on the video and the frequency on the car radio.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Thanks a lot!! :)

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

1) You need to physically copy the disk structure to an external drive and then copy that back. Just copying the files on their own won't work. A program such as Norton Ghost will do this both ways.

Just for educational purposes, what do you mean by "disk structure" and why won't just copying my C: drive folder to a backup HDD and restoring it later work? Thanks.

The reason I asked about VFD is because I'm getting this case:

http://www.tigerdire...e...8&body=MAIN

What can I expect the VFD to display? (Temps. and fan speed only or something else)?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The disk structure is basically the information of how the data is laid out on the disk.
Norton Ghost copies this information as well. If you just copy the files, that's all you're copying but that's all they would appear as - a bunch of files. The drive would not be bootable. Norton Ghost stores with it the details needed to allow the drive to be bootable again. Same thing would happen if you were to reinstall XP - the disk would make the hard drive bootable.

As to the case, it depends on what's been connected to it. Most commonly temperatures or fan RPMs, or the time. As its a media lab, expect it to display media-type things - such as how long the current video's been running, etc.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Thanks, again. The case arrived yesterday but I haven't opened it yet.

Another question--I have a Pentium D 3.4GHz, is that dual core? I'm wondering because I thought it was but after I bought it, I've seen duo-core AND dual core. So, I was thinking maybe duo-core is to dual core as celeron was to P4.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The Pentium D is dual-core but its older technology. Core 2 Duo is the brand name given to current Intel processors.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Once again, thank you! You've been very helpful and kind! :)