Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD

• Please log in to reply

compugeek

compugeek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I just installed a Maxtor 3200 USB external HD. It appears to be working properly, however, when I try to do a backup using Windows Backup, I get the BSoD with these stop codes; 0x00000019(0x00000020, 0xE1A94A88, 0x0c0401). This was the first attempt. I did one more attempt and got this code; 0x00000019(0x0000020, 0xE29A1378. 0x0c040401).
I had this drive installed before and did several full backups on it so I know there is nothing wrong with the drive but I temporarily disconnected it when I recently installed and cloned a new internal HD. I checked my drivers and they're current. There are no red Xs or yellow ?s in the device mgr. I use WinXP w/SP2.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
In general terms the error indicates a problem with Windows memory-allocation, most commonly as a result of a corrupt or bad driver (having the latest drivers does not necessarily mean they are less prone to errors than the old ones they replace. The newer one offers more functionality or compatibility with a particular OS, but it could still be 'buggy')

There are other causes though, and I can't help thinking that perhaps the 'cloned' Windows install is a possible suspect. Only a full re-install from your XP CD or Recovery disc will prove or disprove that theory.

Edited by pip22, 15 January 2008 - 03:50 AM.

compugeek

compugeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did do a repair install of XP on the cloned drive because the clone wouldn't boot.

I've been told that clones usually require a repair or fresh install of XP in order to work properly.

Edited by compugeek, 15 January 2008 - 02:02 PM.