Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Start menu, desktop icons

• Please log in to reply

ev0l

ev0l

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay well I'm editing this post with a little update. Uhm I have the event viewer open, so when the problem occurs I'll be able to pin point the program or programs/files that is making the issue. I also had ran virus scan, and atf cleaner, ad-aware
and nothing shows up. If you want to see the log files for the virus scan ill post them up as well, there was 1 warning no actual problems that occurred in the virus scan its
Begin scan in 'C:\'
C:\pagefile.sys
[WARNING] The file could not be opened!

thats what it is, other than that im not sure everything seems normal but im not exactly what would be wrong. I do notice the program running now at 1:50am but there is no problems yet. But I notice after the problem when i open the task manager explorer.exe isnt in there unless i happen to be over looking it.
If you want to see the txt file from the logs of the hijack this I'll post them up.
not sure if you want them up now or what so i wont post them untill you ask

Edited by ev0l, 15 January 2008 - 03:53 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The issue with pagefile.sys is normal. It's Windows virtual memory.

ev0l

ev0l

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
alright thanks :], so do you think it is explorer when it happens? cause it hasent happend for a while now. But i didnt do anything but use the atf cleaner

ev0l

ev0l

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
can i get some help? or is no one gonna help?

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
It sounds like an explorer hang up.
I have had one or two occasions where explorer didn't want to start but I did get a message telling me so, and then Vista restarted it successfully.

Check your problems log in control panel and see if it shows anything about an explorer problem.

Control Panel/Problem Reports and Solutions/View Problem History

Edited by PsychPosse, 15 January 2008 - 11:46 PM.

ev0l

ev0l

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
okay well i checked that but the only problems it shows are froze programs which have happend recently
that dont help much because there is only 6 in there none of which are explorer.exe
it could be that since it happend at like 5pm today it took it out of the log already because its been 5 hours right?

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Did you look under Problem History on the left sidebar?

It shouldn't clear out on its own, all history should stay there until you clear it.

If you can, and want, post a screen shot of the problem log here.

ev0l

ev0l

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yeah when i went to it only froze programs showed up i check everything there was nothing bout explorer.exe so i cleared them restarted my system thats when the problem happens the most it did it again and then i restarted cause it [bleep]ed up and it happend again so i ctrl alt del and then then end tasked the winlogon.exe it took me back to my login i re logged in and it worked
went to the reports like you said nothing was reported no problems. :/