Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Consumption

• Please log in to reply

gwtwins

gwtwins

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Howdy All,

I just upgraded my 256 meg PCI-e video card with a Sapphire Radeon x1650 PCI-e 512 meg card. I can seemingly run Crysis with no issues (other than it's still on low settings) but when I run Gears Of War my UPS starts screaming that it is experiencing an overload situation? It comes and goes but mostly it stays in alarm while the game is running. I have a Smart UPS 420 and only my Monitor, Mid-tower and woofer are plugged into the UPS via a surge protector. Is there a program out there that will monitor my power usage while I have the game running? I have a 350amp PS and did not experience any problems with my 256 meg card for these games. Does this card draw that much more power? From what I can understand from the specs on the UPS, it can handle 260W or 420VA. Is it possible that GOW exceeds these parameters but Crysis doesn't? I find that hard to believe!

I'm running XPPro and a P4 D 3.4 Gzh with 2 GB DDR2 memory. I'm also running an SB Audigy sound card. Any insight would be helpful!! The game is no fun with the alarms going off!!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
is your monitor a crt or flat panel? Unplug your sub from the ups and plug it directly into the wall.

yes your video card requires more power. I don't know what the rest of your specs are for your system, but I would recommend at least a quality 500watt ps.

Edited by starjax, 15 January 2008 - 08:43 AM.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

is your monitor a crt or flat panel? Unplug your sub from the ups and plug it directly into the wall.

yes your video card requires more power. I don't know what the rest of your specs are for your system, but I would recommend at least a quality 500watt ps.

I'm using a flat panel. Acer 19". If I do invest in a bigger power supply will that fix the UPS going into alarm issue? Will the new power supply draw more power or just produce more? Is my UPS to small?? If you tell me what spec you are looking for I will provide it.

Thanks for the help.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
good questions. What is your ups?

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I'm using a Smart-Ups 420 by APC. Just bought an Antec 5000 watt power supply at Compusa. They are going out of business up here so I got it for 30% off! I'm going to give that a try and see what happens.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I'm using a Smart-Ups 420 by APC. Just bought an Antec 500 watt power supply at Compusa. They are going out of business up here so I got it for 30% off! I'm going to give that a try and see what happens.

I installed the 500w power supply and fired up Gears Of War. The UPS no longer goes into alarm at least not for the first few minutes. I will give it a real stress test later this week when I have a little more time.

Although I think the intermittent overload problem has been solved I am still a little uncomfortable with the UPS issue? I still think the UPS might be to small for this much load and should it be needed it won't work because the load going to it will be more than it can handle? I used a tool called overclockulator to get a rough estimate of my power usage and I'm pushing somewhere around 400w now. The UPS can only handle 260w from the specs I read so should the power go out I think the computer will just do a hard shutdown which defeats the purpose of the UPS. :) Any thoughts?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
let me know how the testing goes, then I'll answer the ups question

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

let me know how the testing goes, then I'll answer the ups question

Sorry about the delay Starjax. I've been heavily involved with some political campaigning as of late but my candidate (I was a Fredhead) is no longer so now I have more time to dedicate to computer stuff.

I just ran GOW for about 1 1/2 hours last night and never even heard a peep out of the UPS! That's good but I still have concerns as to whether or not the UPS would actually keep me running until I could shutdown normally during a power failure??

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Optimally you should get about 10-20min. That is just running the pc by itself. The more other appliances you run from the ups, the more it has to provide power. non essential items like speakers should be left to normal power protection strips and not the ups.

your old ps was not performing well. The ups saved your system by letting you know that something wasn't working right. It was drawing to much power causing a "brown out" condition. Your new ps is way more effecient. Despite the fact that it has high wattage, its efficiency is over 80%. Meaning that our consuming less electricity than you were before. Not to mention prolonging the life of your pc.