Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of duty 4 Profile

• Please log in to reply

Chalkie

Chalkie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi all,
ive upgraded to vista for the benefits of DX10
i then installed COD4 and have been very happy, untill now
every monday morning at exatly 11:57 for some reason my profile is deleted, i play online and get upto level 22 and have to start over
is it just me or is it a comon problem? i have updated with the latest patch, and ive been researching to see if its a common fault, but with no joy.
ive even protected the file so only an admin can edit it, and as im the only person who lives here no one else has done it, im not on wireless or anything like that.
Please tell me there is a cure, ive tried backup of profile and re-instate it but it doesnt bring back my XP, oh it does delete everything, i even have to redo all my controlls and graphics as it sets them back to software default.

Many thanks in advance of your suguestions :-)

Ad x

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
go into your player profile and look for the mpdata file. copy that elsewhere as a backup. the mpdata file contains all of your profile info. Should that ever come up missing or you loose your profile, all you need to do is recreate the profile and copy that file back to the profile.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Try https://activision.c...t...p_sp=&p_li=

Then look under the CoD 4 Problems

SpuD

Chalkie

Chalkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks alot for your input guys, after looking on spud's website post i found the answer, it was because i disabled the UAC, nevermind, thanks anyways guys take care x

krucigen

krucigen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I had the exact same problem. And it took me a while to figure all this out but I got there in the end. The info on the Activision website isn't very helpful. But I just noticed one day that my game wasn't saving.. right at level 24.. odd.. So here is my fix. Oh I also sent this to Activision and I signed up to this forum just so I could post this. This is on Vista Ultimate also... UAC is on.

Step 1: Go to the following directory:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles

Step 2: From the top left choose organize and then Folder and search options. Select the view tab and tick show hidden files and folders. Click OK and return to the above directory.

Step 3: Copy the now visible profile and paste into C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles. Also paste a copy to your desktop as a back up and delete the file that is in the Virtual directory. Make sure it is empty!

Step 4: Right click on the folder and if it shows the Hidden option is ticked... uncheck it. Click ok and open the folder. Now highlight the files inside. Should be 3 of them. Right click and go to properties. If they are showing up as hidden, untick that also.

Step 5: Now to test. Open COD4 and it should automatically load your profile. Choose Create Class and rename any class to a different name. Quit COD4 and open it up again. Check to see if your class was renamed. If it was, you are in luck and back in the game!

Step 6: Refer to step 2 and choose to hide your system files again.

Step 7: Make sure you make regular backups of your profile. You might also want to choose to right click the COD4 file and choose the option to always run it as an administrator.

Hope this is of some benefit.

Worked the trick for me!!

Edited by krucigen, 21 January 2008 - 04:26 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
hmmm.... good instructions. It seems that in some cases the install of cod4 will actually create a path in the "user" section.

For those that are not running vista the xp path would be c:\documents and settings\YOUR NAME\application data\activision

I don't have xp installed on anything that would allow me to install cod4. So I can't test this scenario. Please provide feedback.

the only thing that I would emphasize is that for Multiplayer you need to backup you mpdata file. This actually contains your rank info.

thanks,
Starjax.

Edited by starjax, 21 January 2008 - 08:43 AM.

Chalkie

Chalkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, i can confirm that starjax :-)

Zethlis

Zethlis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm sorry if reviving a somewhat dead thread isn't allowed. But I did everything you guys did, but whenever I log into my account, create a class is shaded and I am lvl 1 AGAIN, I have done everything you guys said as well, the only reason I registered for this website was to find the answer to this ; - ;. I uninstalled CoD4 completely so I could get my demos to start working hopefully, but now all I really give a crap about is getting my account back, please respond to this, I am in extreme need of help! I already asked on a few sites, this is what I said on those.

Not only does it still not work, but now I am no longer level 55, and no longer have all my guns, I backed up the profile folder, and whenever I put the folder where it is supposed to be, it doesn't make my rank 55 or give me my guns back, it is really making me angry, and a lot of people said I can't get it back, that is bull, I googled and at least half of the things I saw said you could, but none said how, I have the backup and need to know what to do with it.

SO PLEASE HELP ME!

Simfly

Simfly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I've gone to the Activision website, and on the support page, it was suprisingly more helpful than usual. Here's what happens when you turn off "User Account Control" on Win Vista:

1. By default, COD4 stores your profiles in "C:\Users\<windows username>\Appdata\Local\Virtualstore\Program Files\Activision" when user account control is on.

2. When one gets annoyed with the dang "Cancel/Allow" feature of UAC (user account control), and one decides to turn it off, your profile isn't deleted, but instead the default location that COD4 stores it is redirected. Your new directory for profiles is "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players".

If one opens "start" in Vista (the cool little circular window thingy in the bottom-left of the toolbar), in the search box, type the first link in the box. In the profiles folder, there it is! R-click, and copy all the info there. Then go into the second link, and delete teh default player info, and R-click and paste your other info there.

Start COD4, and revere in your awesomeness. All this info, if I didn't make this clear enough, is on this page-
Vista UAC disable/missing COD4 profile correlation

COD dude

COD dude

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How do u get to that think to turn UAC on?