Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Can't disable touchpad 'tap to click'

• Please log in to reply

Jules52

Jules52

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Until mid-December I had the Synaptics Touchpad 'tap to click' disabled. Then it became enabled, the right-click menu item to change it greyed out and the mouse properties, settings etc contain no reference to it. It has been suggested that Windows Updates somehow interfered. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling touchpad drivers but it hasn't helped. Apart from using the recovery disk and reformatting what can I do?
Toshiba Equium A200 15L Laptop (PSAE2E). Windows Vista Home Premium.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm hoping this is going to be as simple as this.....

- Open My Computer, then go to the Tools menu & select Folder Options.
- On the first (General) tab of Folder Options, there should be a setting with the option to either 'Single click to open an item' or 'double click to open an item'. If this is currently set to 'Single', then change it to double click.

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Its already set to 'double click'.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thought it might be somehow....

You said you've already tried uninstalling & reinstalling the driver - where are you getting the driver from? i.e is it one of the CDs that came with the laptop, or from Toshibas or Synaptics website?

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I downloaded the latest drivers for the Synaptics Touchpad Vista32, one from the Toshiba site and one from Synaptics. Neither solved the problem.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Reason I asked is because Synaptics are aware of this issue and their resolution to it is to uninstall their driver completely then install the one from the manufacturer's website (in this case, Toshiba). It sounds like you've already tried that though..

Out of interest, have you got any PS/2 devices connected at all? Or are there any PS/2 or mouse or pointing device drivers appearing in device manager?
To check device manager, go to Start -> Run and type devmgmt.msc [click OK]

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
At the moment I have uninstalled the Synaptics touchpad driver. Device manager reports that there is a Microsoft PS/2 compartible mouse. This must be the default touchpad driver as I have no physical mouse connected. The touchpad with this Microsoft touchpad driver, if that is what it is, behaves in exactly the same way as with the synaptics driver.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Samm, you can get a little more up to date by reading the other thread on this.
Jules posted a new thread with hope that others would find it and maybe she would get some results.

HERE

You will see in the images posted, her synaptics device isn't actually loaded into the device manager (compare it to the image I posted)

I haven't been able to figure it out yet. :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Jules,

In the synaptics folder: start/computer/c:/programs/synaptics

Do you have a .dll file called SynTPCpl (touch pad control panel extensions)

Or, what is in there?

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi Psych,
Here is C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP, containing the synTPCpl.dll
Clipboard01.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by Jules52, 17 January 2008 - 05:58 PM.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
You don't have one application in there, that I do have. But I don't think that is it.

Have you read through the synaptics solutions?
They are suggesting you uninstall the driver and reinstall the latest from them. See Here

I am curious as to what your mouse control panel shows:

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have uninstalled and installed both the latest Synaptics driver from Synaptics (v10_1_8_Vista32) and the latest Synaptics driver from Toshiba (v9.1.14.0 [Nov07]) several times during our correspondence, but to no avail. Here is my mouse properties info:
Clipboard02.jpg Clipboard03.jpg

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Jules52 - can you tell me the answer to my last post please regarding PS/2 pointing devices in device manager?
According to Synaptics, if you have any PS2 pointing devices connected or installed, you may experience the exact symptoms that you've been getting...

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Samm, I thought I had answered in Post #7. I have nothing connected to my laptop computer. However, Device manager now shows 'Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad'. I did uninstall & reinstall it yesterday. It seems that the advanced features of the Touchpad eg enable/disable 'tap to click' are missing. I have also just found that if I right-click the Synaptics Touchpad icon in the notification area, selecting accessories and either 'Pressure Graph'or 'Moodpad' brings up the message "Sorry, this program requires a Synaptics Touchpad and the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver" ! But device manager seems to show I have these!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm getting really stuck with on one.
You mentioned earlier that you think the problem started after you updated Vista on the 28th Dec. I'm not that familiar with Vista yet but I'm assuming it has a system restore facility the same as XP. If so, you could try restoring Vista using a restore point just prior to the 28th Dec. Windows normally creates these automatically, especially just before an update so there's a good chance that a restore point dated the 28th (or maybe a bit earlier) will exist