Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Can't disable touchpad 'tap to click'

• Please log in to reply

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The problem may, but may not, be due to Windows Update problems I had from 18th Dec. However water has passed under the bridge since then and all the update problems eventually self-fixed with a set of automatically received updates on 13 Jan. See my topic: Security Updates Failure. At this stage I'm reluctant to go back to a restore point before 18th Dec as I might end up with all my other problems again.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thats fair enough.

In a previous post, you posted a screen shot of the mouse properties which listed a 'Standard pointing device on PS2 port 3'. You since said that in device manager, it now shows 'Synaptics PS2 touchpad'.
Out of interest, if you check mouse properties again, how many things are listed in the 'Devices' drop down box and what are they?

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The drop-down menu contains2 items: (1) Standard Pointing Device on PS/2 Port 3 (2) Other Pointing Devices. (1) is the one selected.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
And what's listed in device manager?

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Under 'Mice and other pointing devices, Device manager lists: 'Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad", only.

delphwhite

delphwhite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've had similar problems with the Synaptics Touchpad on my Dell Precision M90 running Windows XP. The ‘tap to click’ feature of the touchpad spontaneously turns on to my chagrin and can’t be disabled via the “Mouse Properties” menus accessed through the Control Panel. The Synaptics Touchpad properties in the Control Panel - Mouse site have disappeared and been replaced by a generic PS/2 Pointing Device set of mouse properties.

I’ve regained access to the touchpad controls by reinstalling the driver from the "Setup.exe" application in the Synaptics Touchpad Driver folder in the “Program Files” directory: Mine is located at “Program Files/Synaptics/Synaptics Touchpad Driver v.8.2.4.6/Setup.exe”. Reinstalling the driver otherwise doesn't seem to work.

Open "Setup.exe" in “Program Files/Synaptics/Synaptics Touchpad Driver v.8.2.4.6” Go through the Wizard to reinstall the driver but do not “Restart Computer” at end. The touchpad (not mouse) properties menus will now appear in the Control Panel’s “Mouse Properties” file. Touchpad 'tap to click' irritation is now gone, as is the default activation of the center touchpad button.

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
setup.exe does not exist in my Program Files/Synaptics folder.

delphwhite

delphwhite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Synaptics Touchpad Driver folder for the Dell Precision M90 computer running Windows XP contains the setup.exe file = InstallShield Setup Launcher Ver. 6.31.100.1190 in the C:/Program Files/Synaptics/ Synaptics Touchpad Driver v.8.2.4.6 folder

The downloadable Synaptics Touchpad Driver folders from both Synaptics (http://www.synaptics...pport/drive.cfm - Windows 200/XP v10.18 Download) and Dell (http://www.dell-driv...&brNum=3&show=0) have the InstallShield Setup Launcher Setup.exe Ver. 6.31.100.1190 in the driver folders.

If you’re missing some of these driver files you may want to reinstall one of these Synaptics Touchpad Driver packages?

Jules52

Jules52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
First, note that my OS is Vista 32, not XP. I have installed the Vista 32 driver from Synaptics and one from Toshiba (my notebook is Toshiba), and just to see what happens, your recommended XP driver from Synaptics. None make any difference at all. The pointing device Device Settings/Settings properties window remains exactly the same no matter what touchpad driver I install and contains no option to remove 'tap to click'. You wouldn't think this would be such a problem for the computer techies out there but nobody has come up with an answer here, or over a Toshiba since my first post in January. Amazing!

ecstreem

ecstreem

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I came across this thread as a result of a search for the error message: "Sorry, this program requires a Synaptics Touchpad and the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver."

I had a user bring me brand new Toshiba Sat. A205 with the same problem. I had set it up yesterday and it was ready for several years of abuse...and here it's back in my office. In any event, the user told me he had some trouble getting used to the touch pad so had made some changes on the "Advanced tab." He then got out his USB/Bluetooth and used it for a while. When he went back to the touchpad, the "Synaptics driver" didn't appear to work and the Device manager reported a PS2 Synaptics mouse, not TP.

I unloaded the drivers for the mouse and the Synaptics touchpad and rebooted into safe mode whereupon the system detected the rightful Alps touchpad and installed the appropriate driver.

My guess is that there is a bug in the Synaptics driver that unloads the Alps touchpad driver when the system detects the USB mouse hardware.

Alps driver restored the advances functions tab. The Synaptics driver never had an advanced tab.

Hope this helps...

Tom

Advertisements

sam_hates_new_login_names

sam_hates_new_login_names

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had exactly the same problem and I feel obligated to post the solution I found as it would have saved me hours, and maybe it will save the next person hours. I hope everyone else uses the same courtesy so forums like these are useful.

I have a solution but first let me vent. This problem was absolutely the most frustrating and stupid problem. Why would anyone who knows how to type want the to tap to click??? It is such a frustrating feature. On top of that, why would anyone developing software not give the user the ability to turn it off?? Synaptics old touchpad drivers for XP were 100 times better. I don't understand the lack of functionality in the new ones.

I checked on Toshiba.com for touchpad drivers for my A205-S5831 satellite and noticed there was an Alps driver. I downloaded this driver, uninstalled the Synaptics driver, and installed the Alps driver. The Alps driver includes many more options the Synaptics driver does not, including turning off tap to click. Hope this solution works for others.

Mipip

Mipip

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey
Also felt I should try to help this since I had major problems with this myself.

The solution for my problem was quite simple and might apply for you as well if you have not managed to solve it by installing newer synaptics drivers.

I bought a MSI WIND (Singapore version, Axioo Pico), and got all the drivers with the computer.
BUT.
BUT.
After surfing forums for hours I slowly realised that my touchpad is NOT a synaptics touchpad, eventhough the software that came with the comp was synaptics drivers.
My touchpad is a Sentelic touch-pad.
I managed to find new drivers for it and now it works like a charm.

Might be worth giving a shot if nothing else works for you.

Newest Sentelic driver version:
http://rapidshare.co...L_WHQL.rar.html

or just google the driver name FSP_8332_ALL_WHQL

Hope this helps

page305

page305

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hope this works for ya...

This may sound very odd, but I've had the same problem with my computer...

If I try to work too fast for the computer during start-up (clicking and moving the mouse around, opening folders as soon as the desktop is visible etc etc) sometimes my Syn driver doesn't load and my tap to click is locked on (grayed out, and all the other symptoms you're having).

Try this even though it sounds ridiculous...

Restart your computer and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING. Let the computer boot and show the desktop... still don't touch anything, and I mean not 1 key or mouse button! (unless you have to log in using a password, I'll let ya slide there :0P ). Wait 5 minutes (longer if your hourglass is coming on and off) without touching anything and then see if your tap to click is off or able to be turned off...

also, check your startup programs (using HiJack this, or Advanced Spyware Remover Free Version), it may not be loading when windows starts... By the way, both of those programs are great! Get 'em anyway.

jandj

jandj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem with the Synaptics Pointing Device starting recently. It was working perfectly a couple months ago and I knew where to disable tapping. Apparently, the most recent driver update is corrupted. You must find an older driver version and install that. Don't install the latest or you will keep running into the same problem. That happened to me until I disabled automatic updates and refused the most recent Synaptics Pointing Device update. I installed an older driver version and it works great.

Radium61

Radium61

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I have an MSI A5000 here, couldn't find the proper touchpad drivers for it and I was having the same issues as reported here. What I found out when I fixed my problem was that there is another touchpad company. Synaptics drivers didn't work but I found Sentelic, which fixed my touchpad setting issue where I couldn't enable/disable tapping.

Sentelic main site is here, but I wasn't able to get the downloads.
http://www.sentelic.com/index.html

From MSI I used the driver for their CR600 series laptop, here:
http://www.msi.com/i...e&driver_no=218
Hope this works you guys!

Edited by Radium61, 20 August 2010 - 02:10 PM.