Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Can't disable touchpad 'tap to click'

• Please log in to reply

rickjames8

rickjames8

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too found the answer to this problem. While I was searching for the answer, I found many posts that said "it worked for years, then just stopped working". So I guess Windows updated something and the update made people lose the ability to disable tap-to-click.

The problem I had wasnt that I didn't know how to do it, it was that it couldnt be done. I went to control-panel --> mouse and there was no "touchpad" setings. Nor could I disable it in device manager. So I looked up which touchpad I had and it apparently was a Synaptics, so I downloaded the appropriate driver and installed. Now I could adjust the touchpad, but only the buttons, not the pad itself!! Turns out that Acer shipped my moded (D255) with 2 different touchpads. So I downloaded the drivers for the other one (Elan) and now I have the ability to go in to settings and disable.

I was reading posts and replies and it seems some helpers misinterpreted the problem as users not knowing where to go to disable it. Because I had the same problem, it was clear that it wasnt a case of the user not knowing where to look, they (we) knew where to look, but the option wasnt there. I'd say the only fix for this would be to find a driver that gives you that option. I'm not sure if its possible to install a driver for a touchpad other than the one you have, but if so, this Elan one works well for me.

-Rick - Acer D255 w/ Windows 7

PS. I agree with the earlier comment that I think the 'tap-to-click' feature is the most annoying ever. I'd like to see manufacturers default it to 'off' and let users turn it on.

Edited by rickjames8, 09 October 2010 - 11:00 AM.

Advertisements

Namazu

Namazu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had more or less the same problem: the Synaptics driver icon did not show up anymore and I could no longer scroll with the touchpad.
I checked Device Manager and found some random PS/2 mouse driver that I never consciously installed. Removing it and rebooting (twice, for some reason, because it said I had to reboot after the first reboot) brought back the Synaptics icon as well as the functions (scrolling etc, sensitivity) that were gone before. I did not even have to reinstall the driver!

Also, the Device Manager now shows "Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device" instead of just PS/2 mouse (sorry I forgot the exact name). For some reason I have a Wacom mouse driver that I am unaware of, too.

I'm guessing the Synaptics problem might be due to another mouse/device that is using (or trying to use) the same port as the Synaptics driver. Apparently some (most?) laptops have only one PS/2 port on the motherboard, and having 2 drivers point to the same port doesn't make the system happy. (see wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia..../PS/2_connector)

I hope this helps any of you who know more on the subject than I do to get to the root of the problem. :)

Specs: Clevo/BTO laptop
Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
8 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M / Intel HD Graphics Family

[EDIT: I actually like the 'tap to click'. You can adjust the settings for sensitivity so that you won't accidentally click while you're typing, and you don't have to wear out some hard-to-press button every time you want to do something. But I guess different people have different preferences...]

Edited by Namazu, 22 November 2011 - 03:05 PM.

srd1074

srd1074

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I had exactly the same problem and I feel obligated to post the solution I found as it would have saved me hours, and maybe it will save the next person hours. I hope everyone else uses the same courtesy so forums like these are useful.

I have a solution but first let me vent. This problem was absolutely the most frustrating and stupid problem. Why would anyone who knows how to type want the to tap to click??? It is such a frustrating feature. On top of that, why would anyone developing software not give the user the ability to turn it off?? Synaptics old touchpad drivers for XP were 100 times better. I don't understand the lack of functionality in the new ones.

I checked on Toshiba.com for touchpad drivers for my A205-S5831 satellite and noticed there was an Alps driver. I downloaded this driver, uninstalled the Synaptics driver, and installed the Alps driver. The Alps driver includes many more options the Synaptics driver does not, including turning off tap to click. Hope this solution works for others.

First, thank you for sparing me the additional several hours of time to repair this problem. I've already been trying for several, including calling Toshiba tech support who of course gave me a link to the WRONG DRIVER. Anyhow, I also agree...why would anyone want to tap to click. I have accidentally closed so many things, or clicked on so many links because of it and it was driving me INSANE.

However, as we don't all have your model of laptop and I couldn't find it in a general search of Toshiba, I went to another site for their generic driver version and it solved the tap-to-click problem. It does also have a lot more features than synaptics as you pointed out. It also works on tablet-PCs such as my Toshiba Portege M700 as well (not to be confused with tablets like iPad for example).

Here's the Lenovo link:
http://support.lenov...?DocID=DS029542

Problem solved YAY!!!