Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help on How To Increase Wifi Signal Reception on Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
We have a Dell laptop 1501 with a 802.11b/g Dell 1390 wireless card.

She gets signals in very few places at college and a lot of those are week.

What if anything can we do to increase the signal?

Of course the more portable we keep this the better she will like it.

What do you suggest; new card, external antenna, usb adapter, etc.......

Thanks in advance
Waynesworld

:)

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
The first thing I would do is to talk with the IT department at the college, find out exactly where the access points are so that she can get as close to them as possible. If the signal does not improve, I would ask the IT deparment for a recommendation on what type of PCMCIA card they would recommend to buy (they know their hardware better than me), if you wanted to try that route. You may get a discount on it also.

An external antenna would definitely boot the reception however I'm not sure how that would work with an integrated card.

I personally do not recommend using a USB adapter, as I've seen a lot of problems with them.

Hope this helps.

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I did call the IT dept. and they have only a few access points. She told me she didn't think that there was anything to do to help my wife's reception on her laptop.

Any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Waynesworld

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
An external card with an external antenna would boost her signal to a degree, but without knowing the exact details I can't say for sure that it would be a good investment for you.

uma_ngtaug11

uma_ngtaug11

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am a student and I am using Wi-fi in my hostel to connect with the internet. I used to get very poor signal during heavy traffic times.

While browsing through the internet to find some means to increase the signal, I found this article

http://techwikasta.c...ur-wifi-signal/

By doing these activites , we can increase the range of our wifi network.
Hope this would help!