Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows uninstall

• Please log in to reply

Billy L.

Billy L.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've just joined this forum, and yes I do have a situation I could use some help with. I have windows XP and XP Pro installed on my system; which is probably the cause of its slowness. What I'd like to do is uninstall the XP and just leave Pro on the system. I found out from another forum that I didn't have to reinstall XP in order to install Pro (but only after I did the reinstall). Now I've found out I didn't have to reinstall XP and then reinstall Pro. Any suggestions on how to do that, safely. I don't want to have to reinstall all of the other programs back onto the computer. I've been working at this for more than a week now.
Thanks for any help anyone can suggest, in advance.

Con Rod

Con Rod

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ok to have both on there you must of had 2 partitions
you need to get rid of the xp partition,
to do this you must first find out which is which one will be c: and one will be d: or something else
then put the xp disk in go through the cd and stop when you get to the partition screen and now delete the one you do not wont anymore
then esc out of it and it should be fine.

Warning: deleting this partition you will erase everything on it.

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
Billy L., please do the following:

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Click the Settings button under Startup & Recovery.
Click the Edit button.

Copy and past the boot.ini info in notepad here. That will tell us how your drive/drives are setup and how your copies of XP are installed.