Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build; Booting Issues

• Please log in to reply

Andy415

Andy415

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I recently built a new computer for my brother. After installing all the drives/components and etc.; it was running great. But that is when the problem started happening.

Situation/Problem: If I shutdown the computer and leave it off for > 30 mins and power it back on again, the computer doesn't boot and nothing appears on the screen. After a few random turning off and on the computer it finally beeps and boots and everything is fine. I've tried the advice giving in the sticky;

Nothing on the screen with no beeps

1-Make sure the hs (heatsink) is installed properly, tight with thermal paste applied
2-Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the motherboard
3-Clear the cmos by unplugging the computer removing the battery then move the clear cmos jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3 for 10 minutes
4-Replace the battery and move the jumper back to pins 1&2
5-Verify all motherboard jumpers are set correctly
6-Verify all case connections are correct ( case switch ect.)
7-Verify the power supplies 20/24 pin and 4pin 12v are tightly seated to the motherboard

Even tried reseating the memory, removing and putting back the drives;

But it still doesn't work.

So I'm not sure what is the problem because it will only boot sometimes.

Here are the specs:
ASUS V3-M2A690G AMD Socket AM2 Barebones
AMD 690G
ATI SB600
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ CPU
2GB DDR2 Dual Channel
500W Power supply
MSI NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
SATA Western Digital 160GB HD

Any advice/help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Remove all cards except video and all drives then cycle the computer on and off with the same time span entering bios each time and let it idle in there for awhile tring to reproduce the same problem.

If the problem contiues then we have narrowed it down a bit.

Report back what happens and provide a link to your psu or the brand and model

Andy415

Andy415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for replying! Ummm... I've tried your advice and cycled through a few on and offs and it still has that same problem with it not beeping and booting. As for the PSU its a Cooler Master Extreme; I think this is the model number: "RP-500-PCAR"

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
That is not a bad psu but things happen, would it be possible to barrow another psu to try in it?

By removing the parts above you now know its the motherboard,cpu,ram,or psu so that narrowed it down and its best to start with the simple things, psu first

Andy415

Andy415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ahh, I see.

As for starting with the PSU, the Cooler Master Extreme was recently installed because I thought it was the PSU problem. But it still had the same problem of booting on rare occasions. Previously I had a 350W originally from the bare bones itself. So I don't think its a PSU problem.

As for memory, I've tried each stick and after a few cycling of on and offs it would boot once or twice.

But I've got a question though; If something was wrong with some parts of the computer such as the mobo, ram, or cpu and etc. Shouldn't it be able to not boot/run at all? Yet my brother's boots up fine sometimes. That is what confuses me.

Edited by Andy415, 17 January 2008 - 11:59 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I see your point about the psu and I agree its doubtful you have two bad ones so lets say for now we eliminated the psu.

Google memtest86, its free so don't get caught up in paying for it, follow the instructions and create a bootable floppy or cd. Boot from the media and test each stick individually for at least 4 hours each.

I answer to your question, some parts are manufacterd with flaws, these flaws only get exposed at certain, critical times and can vary, like booting for example or when running very stressful programs and yes sometimes not at all when the computer is used only for general use. I really doubt its the ram but we have to check so we are not guessing. Read your motherboard manual about a bios update, it could pay to give that a try

Andy415

Andy415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I did the memory test for each stick and they both passed with no errors.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Start the computer enter bios, let it idle in there for 15 minutes the post your temps and voltages for evaluation, I doubt this will tell us much but we have to check'em

prime95 Download and install prime95 and run its torture test at its default settings, what this will do is stress the motherbaord,cpu,ram and psu. If prime fails one of these parts are bad, note and let us know how long it runs. If you can run prime for say 8 hours without error then these compontes should be good and the only other thing I can think of is a bios update but lets see what you come up with

Andy415

Andy415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok; I'm at my college right now so I won't be able to reply and post results until about Saturday after all the testing and etc. So hopefully, this topic won't be closed for being inactive.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No it won't be closed, and will get notification when you responed again

Andy415

Andy415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for the absence. Been really busy lately with school and stuff. I'll post as soon as I can do the 8 hour prime test. Thanks

Andy415

Andy415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for the long absence. Had some time this weekend and was able to get my brother off the computer LOL! I let it idle for about 15-20 mins and the temps are as :

Temps:
CPU: 49-50 C
Mobo: 32 C

Voltage:
VCore - 1.36 v
3.3 V - 3.36 v
5V - 4.97 v
12V - 11.96 v

As for the prime95 torture test I ran it about 7 - 8 hours roughly in default mode. It passed all the test that were given.

Thanks! Really sorry for the late reply!