Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cmos problems

• Please log in to reply

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi whenever I want to turn on my computer the computer freezes at the del and tab screen. Unless I reset the CMOS which is time consuming. But after that windows loads and the screen has to get brighter before it starts to load. But I still can go to windows. So please Help. Thanks :)

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try replacing the motherboard battery, it looks like a oversized watch battery and is avalible at radio shack for around 3 bucks or so.

If this battery is weak you will notice the time is not correct and this is a good indication it needs changed. On the first boot after you put the battery in it you will experiance the same thing but after that it should be good to go. If this does not fix the problem then its something bigger.

Please describe this "screen has to get brighter issue"

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well windows is on the load bar screen the screen has to get brighter before the bar starts to move

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi frankthetank

I think Doby is right try and change the cmos batt.

Here is an image of what the batt looks like.
Posted Image

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Guys I'll look into it :)

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I dont think its the cmos because the time and date is right in the bios. I Also reinstalled Windows XP but still nothing work. Please Help. Thanks :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Please post your system specs or brand and model

This is a strange problem that is sometimes linked to a bad motherboard but try this.

unplug the computer
remove the battery
move the clear cmos jumper to pins 2&3, your manual will explain and show its location
push the power button in and hold for 30 seconds
leave the computer like this for 15 minutes.

reinstall the battery, move the clear cmos jumper back to pins 1&2, plug it in and see if that helps.
you may also want to try a bios update

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Abit IP35 Pro
Core 2 duo 3.0 ghz. E6850
XFX 8500 GT 8500 256 ram
2 gigabytes of ram OCZ
Sony dvd Drive
cool max power supply 550 Wats

Thanks Again Guys :)

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
This is what happened my ram voltage was too low so now it's at 2.0 volts so all good. If anyone needs help contact Abit. I would like thank Doby for helping with my situation. Thanks Everybody!

Edited by frankthetank, 11 February 2008 - 05:58 PM.
removed email address - Ryan

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Frank,

Thats good to know and yes I know we disgussed the ram voltage via pm but its not a good ides to put your email in the open forum the spam bots are gunna get ya

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I know we disgussed the ram voltage via pm

Just a heads up, there is no support allowed via PM. Please keep everything in the forums so all can benefit from the discussion. Perhaps you may wish to re-read the Terms Of Use again.

Help is permitted in the forums only. No support is offered, or allowed via Personal Message or email.

Cheers

Troy

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Troy you misunderstood, frank sent me a pm that he heard back from Abit and they suggested to raise the ram voltage witch he did and all was good, I then suggested that he note that in his thread