Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Motherboard prob

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
My friend told me that he wanted a new computer, because both him and him and i know that his family computer is crap, so i built him a list from newegg. we recieved the parts and i put it together, and then it didnt turn on. so after a while i was pretty sure that it was the motherboard, because i double checked all the cables going into it from the front of the case. i told him to mail it in for a replacement, and its supposed to come back in today or tommorow. Did i make the right decision or the wrong one?
bryan
By the way, his pc is a MSI pci express mobo, amd athlon 64 x2 6000, geforce 8600 GT 512, 2 gig DDR2 Gskill memory, a 500 watt power supply, and a 500 gb hd.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You would have to explain exactly what the computer did when you pressed the power buttom for us to diagnose. Did it not power on at all? Meaning no fans or lights? Or fans and lights with no video? plus it would be best if you tell us or provide links to the exact parts especially the psu, ram and motherboard.

When you get the new board build it out of the case with minimal components just to get a post and see if you can get into bios, then report back and we can help more

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well, it didnt power on at all, except the network light blinked and the system fans turned around once. i think i diagnosed it wasnt the psu because i brought his pc over and i put mine in that works, and nothing happened. so i thought it was the mobo.
his ram is http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231098
mobo: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130065
psu: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817148027
the new mobo should be coming soon, so i will let you guys know, but till then, see if the rest of this response helps
hoopsman

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Not a great psu but you may get by with it using the onboard video.

The real problem as I see it could be two things, the board was indeed bad and with the way you described it its very possible.
The other is the X2 6000 is not listed as supported on the manufactuers specs page

specs

Accoerding to this there are two versions of the 6000 one is not supported and the other is with bios version 5.6

5.6 is the latest bios so if the board did not come with this version you would have to flash it and that would requirer a working cpu but again it also depends on what cpu you have

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thanks for the insight. i wasnt even aware that the amd athlon 64 6400 wasnt compatible with the mobo :) so, does this mean that i need to get him a new mobo?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You would have to check the msi website and see if you can figuar out what bios version the board has installed, sometimes you can tell by numbers printed on the board. Its possible the board already has the latest bios, you could also install the cpu and see if it works but like I said there are two versions of this cpu and one is not supported.

Can you give us the numbers on top the cpu I should be able to look them up and see what you have. It won't hurt to install it and see what happens but I would do it with a bench test with minimal components to see if it will post

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well the thing is.... for one he has a 6400+, not a 6000+, (sorry about that) but that means that it isnt supported. but anyway, i already tried putting the pc together, and it didnt turn on at all. i told him to mail in his mobo back in to newegg for a replacement, and that was about 1 or 2 weeks ago. he says that he hasnt gotten any response from newegg about this. so should i have him get a new mobo and call customer service?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
OOps, don't worry about it, stuff happens :) and yes the 6400 is not supported so he will have to get a motherboard that supports this cpu, funny newegg has not gotten back to him they are usually very good, I would have him call asap and explain the situation before they send him a replacement, most likely all he'll have to pay is a restocking fee

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
yay! good thing is that he talked to newegg, and they changed it from a exchange to a return, so hes getting his money back. but i was just wondering if this mobo would be good for a amd x2 6400: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128014
let me know

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes that supports the 6400

cpu support

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
cool, thanks. cause i need to get him a new mobo. by the way, do you know that instead of him getting his money back, since i am buying another item from newegg, that he could just get that return money as newegg credit and pay the difference?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry I really don't know.