Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Channel question

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i have a Machspeed MSNV-939 motherboard and it says that the memory can do "Dual channel". i have 2 gigs of DDR ram, so how would i set my RAM into "Dual channel" mode? i know that it isnt in dual channel because the program cpu-z says its in single. is it possible, and if it is, will i see a performance boost?
bryan

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Can you tell us exactly what RAM you are running, how many sticks, etc..

You may be able to set it in Bios, but I also think that your computer will recognize proper RAM and boot into dual on its own.

So it is possible you don't actually have RAM that is supported for dual. As your mobo states, it "can do" dual channel. That doesn't mean it is set up to do it right now.

Oh, and from what I have heard, there isn't a significant boost in dual mode. You will probably get better performance by tweaking some things and/or adding more RAM.

Edited by PsychPosse, 16 January 2008 - 12:26 AM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
In order to use the dual chanel you need to put the ram sticks in the matching color slots.
You have 2 pairs of slots each pair has a green and white slot. In order to work as dual chanel put the same ram size stick in the same color (one in each pair).

It can help. If you are running an aplication that was meant for dual chanel.

Here is a link that discribes how to install with pictures.

Here is a link that talks about the dual chanel advantages that are not that much.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
dual channel mode is faster though right?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes your essentially doubling the width of the ram bus, think of it like this, if you had 8 people to get across town but only a 4 person car. Would it be faster to take two cars or one car and make two trips.

Keep in mind that you ram should be a matched pair, also known as a dual channel kit or your system may be come unstable

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
as in matched pair do you mean the same model name, or the same memory size?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Actually they are identical, in speed, latecy and size therefore they have the same model number. They are sold in pairs, look on new egg at there dual channel kits.

If you are trying to match a stick to the one you currently have I am not going to tell you it won't work, I discourage this because some boards are picky about ram and alot of the time it does not work and for the price of ram these days it ain't worth trying, better just to get the kit and use the old ram in another system

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

In order to use the dual chanel you need to put the ram sticks in the matching color slots.

I recently found this to not always be true. I got a GA-P35-DS3L a couple days ago and it clearly stated that each channel was a group of two on the mobo as oppossed to the usual same color slots. Consult your MOBO manual or online documents on your board.

Edited by Titan8990, 17 January 2008 - 09:24 PM.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
so, according to doby and titan, what i have which is: a 1gig DDR Ultra RAM in slot 1, and a 1gig stick of Corsair DDR ram in slot 3, should be fine in dual channel mode, correct?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I was trying to say that it is dependant on the MOBO. If you do not have documentation then you can check for dual channel and if it is not running in dual channel at the time then you can just move the sticks around and check again.

Advertisements

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

a 1gig DDR Ultra RAM in slot 1, and a 1gig stick of Corsair DDR ram in slot 3,

They need to be same manufacturer, model number, etc. I do believe.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i have them running in dual channel, and i havent experienced any problems yet. my pc is a little bit faster, so i dont see what the problem would be

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You could run into problems down the raod, try running a stressfull program like a 3d game or prim95 to test it for stability, if it ain't stable it would be best to get a dual channel kit

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well i just finished playing chronicles of riddick: escape from butcher bay,(by the way, that game is awesome!) and it ran great. i also ran team fortress 2 just fine. so i havent really seen any problems at all, and my pc seems to be going a little bit faster.
thanks for all the help

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

so, according to doby and titan, what i have which is: a 1gig DDR Ultra RAM in slot 1, and a 1gig stick of Corsair DDR ram in slot 3, should be fine in dual channel mode, correct?

this is the correct setting. I checked the mobo before posting you.

I am glad it works well.
Enjoy