Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Won't Boot Past Dell Splash Screen

• Please log in to reply

kanpyo

kanpyo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop, when it boots it shows the dell screen and then a black screen with a white cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner. I can go into the Bios and it shows I have memory, Hard drive, etc. If I put a Windows installation CD in, it will let me press any key to load CD, but then the white cursor in the left corner reappears. I thought if I hooked up the VGA monitor from the connector on the back of the laptop it would work, but it hasn't. It replies with the same problem. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks like there is a problem with your hard disk. Please use this link to download the necessary files to create BartPE bootable disk. You will need the xp disk as well. Create the disk, boot with it, enter System > Storage and run check disk.

kanpyo

kanpyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I will try. Thank you.

kanpyo

kanpyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I tried the Boot Disk and it would not load, it said setting up hardware....... and that was it. I kept in mind that you said it would be the hard drive so I pulled the drive out and then ran the disk and the disk loaded no problem. It seems the drive is bad and needs to be replaced. Thank you for your help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please let us know if disk replacement solved the problem.

Regards.

kanpyo

kanpyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The hard drive came yesterday and I installed it. THAT WAS THE ANSWER! Problem solved. Thank you for your help.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I thought i might add this to the mix. Last week someone brought me a Dell computer that always ended up with a blinking curser in the top left corner of a black screen. I was testing to see if there was a hardware problem and i got a blue screen asking what i wanted to do. So i rebooted and while i was rebooting i came across a note i made about using the ctrl+ F11 keys while the computer was rebooting. I tried this and the Dell computer reinstalled the operating system back to when it was newly bought. I tested it for a day with Sandra and found no problems. This was probably the easist repair i've ever done. It seems Dell makes a hidden partition on a lot of their computers that even windows does not see.

SRX660