Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Orange Box Possible?

• Please log in to reply

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi all, I am using a Compaq Presario with an AMD Athalon Xp 2800+ with 2.08 GHz, and 1.5 GB of Ram. I recently upgraded my video card to a GeCube ATI Radeon X1550PRO 512 MB AGP. I also bought The orange box and am not able to play any games. First it came up with a error: Failed to create D3D Device! I did what it said to fix that, but now the game loads then just flashes black and shuts down. I know nothing about the Catalyst Center or what are the best drivers. I also noticed in my catalyst center where there should be a video preview it is juts a black box. By the way right now I am running Catalyst Version: 07.12. Please help or tell me if it is a lost cause. I really hope not since I just bought this new card! Thanks.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
your system is somewhat above minimum specs to play this game.

which one did you do?

Game Crash: Failed to create D3D Device!
Question

What does this error mean and how do I fix it?
Answer

This error commonly occurs with only the following ATI graphics cards:

Radeon X300

Radeon X700

Radeon X800

Radeon 9###

Before updating your drivers, please visit Windows Update and make sure that you have all of the critical updates and the .NET framework installed.

If you get a Failed to create D3D device error and are using any of the above ATI Cards, please update your drivers to the latest version of Catalyst by visiting the ATI driver page.

If you use a Nvidia or any other type of video card, please visit the manufacturer's website for the latest video card drivers.

If the crash persists, set the following launch option:

* Go to Steam's My games menu.
* Right-click on the affected game.
* Go to Properties > General > Set launch options...
* Type in -dxlevel 80.
* Click OK.

Note: if you are attempting to play Team Fortress 2, Portal or Half-Life 2: Episode Two, you must set your launch option to -dxlevel 81 instead.

Edited by starjax, 16 January 2008 - 01:16 PM.

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I did both and then ended up putting in that code too. Like I said I know a lot of people have troubles with the drivers for this card so I was wondering if anybody had suggestions.

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am trying to upgrade to 7.7 because I heard that worked somewhere...we will see what happens!

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Did not work!

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nevermind...figured it out, works like a charm!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what worked for you?

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Newest drivers from ATI, just the drivers and then downloading omega drivers, worked right off the bat!

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Everything I have posted I have figured out for myself LOL...just takes time and troubleshooting I suppose, no easy answers!