Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

User Account/Profile problem

• Please log in to reply

angieInVA

angieInVA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
it looks like when I click on my user account instead of it referencing lets say

c:\documents and settings/angie

it is now referencing

c:\documents and settings/temp

so all my favorites are gone, my desktop is different. this happen awhile ago and I have just been living with it or else I might try a restore. any idea on what would cause it and what I can do to fix it??

I'm running Windows XP on this computer.

thanks

Advertisements

dipak_helpdesk

dipak_helpdesk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I had also faced some time back and following solution worked for me.

Boot in Safe mode with command prompt. And from documents and settings folder rename or delete TEMP folder. / Or with normal administrator login try booting in normal mode and do same rename/deletion of TEMP folder from dos prompt.

Regards,

Dipak

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Before doing any of the following, make a backup of your registry. I suggest you install ERUNT to do this.

Your files are still there. Sounds like your user profile has lost it's connection with where it's data is stored. If you are comfortable with using regedit, try this by booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. Login as Administrator, no password.

The key is a registry hack that redirects Windows back to the ProfileImagePath of the original profile.

Click on Start / Run type regedit and press Enter. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once there, you will see the SID's listed for all of the profiles on the machine. Within the Key for each SID there is an entry called "ProfileImagePath" that will look like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\UserName...

Scroll through the SID's until you find the one with the screwy name, like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\youruserid.2

This is just an example, could be someithing else weird.

Just edit the Key to remove the ".2" or whatever else is there that shouldn't be, and it will point the user back to their old profile...

Remember, backup your registry using ERUNT before doing this.

angieInVA

angieInVA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks Rich, that did the trick!!

now what about this...........I notice that there is a difference between these two folders

c:\documents and settings\TEMP

c:\documents and settings\myuserid

can I, should I go through them one folder at a time and move what I don't have in myuserid folders?

do you think there will be anymore references to TEMP in my registry that I need to edit?

thanks again!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
What I would do is rename c:\documents and settings\TEMP to c:\documents and settings\TEMP-old, then run with it for awhile and see what happens. If all is well then just delete c:\documents and settings\TEMP-old. If not post back and we can work on it.

angieInVA

angieInVA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
sounds good,

thanks again