Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer gets stuck.

• Please log in to reply

ruson

ruson

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, my computer gets stuck at random occasions. I have no idea why this is happening, would be good with some help.

Yours Truly ruson. :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Welcome ruson. You are going to have to provide some more information before anyone here can help.

First, what do you mean by "gets stuck"? Does the computer freeze so nothing works, not even the mouse or keyboard or does it just pause for a few seconds then continue as normal?

Is this new behavior or has it always done this?

What have you done recently, especially just prior to this occuring if it's new behavior? Did you install new hardware or software? Did you uninstall hardware or software, did you have a malware (virus, trojan, keylogger, etc.) infection and had to clean up your computer?

When this occurs, what programs are you running?

Please post back with more information, and don't feel you have ot be brief or not use many words. I'd rather have too much information than too little. Also preview your post before submitting it, see how it looks and does it convey the information you are trying to get across. Punctuation, sentence and paragraph usage help a lot :)

ruson

ruson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It freezes for like 15 seconds on random occasions, it have happened when I'm playing games or just browsing the web.
It stops everything, I can't move my mouse neither write and the music stops also. It sometimes happened once and then it doesn't happened for another few hours. But sometimes it just keeps freezing so i have to reboot.

This behaviour is new, a few months ago i installed more ram but it was maybe 2 months ago.

If you need more information just tell me. :>

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, thanks. What we need to do is figure out what is locking up the computer for that 15 seconds. This is almost always caused by software using 100% of the CPU, leaving nothing for anything else to run with. It's going to be tough to do this because the problem is so intermittent.

What I would recommend is to open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click on the Process tab. Click on the column heading CPU twice to sort the processes there by CPU usage, in descending order.

Now move the TaskManager Window to the bottom of the screen and position it so you can see the top 2-3 running processes, and leave it there. It will look something like this:

Posted Image

The next time the computer hangs, look at TaskManager and see if you can tell what the top process is. Post that info here. If this doesn't work we'll have to come up with another way to monitor CPU utilization.

ruson

ruson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry for the wait on respond. It just hasn't freezed anything until now.

Here's a pic, the CPU was 99 at first but got the screen at 96.

Posted Image

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Rats, that doesn't look bad (even though it's not in English :)).

I see you are running something called StyleXP. Anything that messes with themes and xp styling can be problematic. Try uininstalling it for awhile and see if that resolves the problem. If not we'll work on this some more (and I'll bring in the big guns!).

Even worse, I see you have some kind of bit torrent running. That may be the culprit. Not only is it a magnet for malware but it can be sucking up your bandwidth. If StyleXP removal doesn't help, try removing the torrent.

ruson

ruson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried, still happening. I have noticed it happens more when i download something with Utorrent or just a downloader.
I am using a extern hard-drive a lot now, I can't remember if it freezed before i got it.

I'm using the hard-drive all the time now.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
ruson, please clarify. You uninstalled the torrent software and the problem still occurs? The behavior you describe is exactly what I would expect with a torrent running.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

I am using a extern hard-drive a lot now, I can't remember if it freezed before i got it.

I'm using the hard-drive all the time now.

ruson,

Pardon me budging in one comment. Try unplugging your external hard drive see if your system is still slow.

ydude

ydude

• Pip
  • 2 posts
try and remove and reinsert the ram cards. also check the other connections to the motherboard. it worked for me>>> hope this helps :)

ZAINUDDIN

ZAINUDDIN

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN MY LAPTOP. MY LAPTOP IS SONY VAIO E SERIES. i3 2nd Generation, 4gb Ram, 640GB hard, Windows 7 64 bit. My laptop stuck for 10-15 seconds. This happens mostly when i am using google chrome. It happens other times also. Please suggest me a solution i am really worried about it. it happens once in a day daily.