Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard lock ups! Usually when browsing the internet!

• Please log in to reply

Aspire

Aspire

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi peeps

My computer completely crashes at random periods.. first the whole screen freezes and I can't click anything on the task bar or go to task manager and then after a few seconds my mouse pointer completely freezes and if any music is playing it loops and skips then I get a blue screen.

It's weird because it only seems to happen mostly when I browse the internet (I have tried browsing in both internet explorer and firefox but it happens in both).

Webpages like myspace, yuwie and others usually mess up my computer within minutes but it happens completely randomly on other webpages aswell AND sometimes when I'm producing music on fruityloops.

I have done virus scans, adware and malware scans with up-to-date definitions and they're all saying my computer is clean.

Specs for my PC are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.4ghz
2.00gb of low latency RAM
250gb Hard Drive
Geforce 8800GTX graphics card
Windows XP

Programs I have running in the background are:
NOD 32 Virus Scanner
MSN Messenger
Emule Xtreme
(Although I have tried browsing with all of these backgrounds program off but it still happens!)

I'm also using a wireless connection.

Does anyone have any idea of what this might be? I'm almost at my wits end.. it's been like this ever since I bought the thing a year ago >:)

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Uninstall the toolbars. Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, eBay Toolbar, etc. Cause more trouble than they're worth because they act as red herrings towards problems with the browsers. I refuse to let any of the toolbars near my computer.

Aspire

Aspire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Neil

I haven't got any toolbars installed on my computer, I know what you mean about them being more trouble than they're worth haha.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Aspire,

Is this IE6 or IE7 or another browser?

Edited by tuxmaster, 16 January 2008 - 04:53 PM.

Aspire

Aspire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm currently using the most recent version of Firefox. I have IE6 on my computer but I rarely use it.

I find these hard lock ups happen on both browsers though.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Aspire,

Try reinstalling your network driver. Are you connecting wireless or wired? What is the make and model of your network card.

Aspire

Aspire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Tuxmaster

My network card is a Belkin G+ MIMO USB Adapter, have just reinstalled with the latest drivers, went onto myspace and after a couple of minutes it still locked up :)

Oh, I should also note that every time my computer locks up and I reset, when I get back to my desktop after a reboot it says Active Desktop Recovery "click to enable active desktop" even though I have never switched it on.. I have to click to restore my desktop wallpaper.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We now need to make certain that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwise we may be wasting our time.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Aspire

Aspire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Tuxmaster

Thanks for the advice my friend!

I will work towards getting this information for you now so please don't close the thread just yet! As soon as I get the information I will post either in the malware thread (if it is a malware issue) or back here if otherwise.

Cheers :)