Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System problems after using XP boot CD repair

• Please log in to reply

toddtharp

toddtharp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello guys, I was infected a few days ago with the aurora malware, with the random executables being generated and launched and a whole mess of aurora pop up windows. Spybot didn't clean it, neither did AdAware 6.

I found this forum and followed directions here to remove the junk.

I downloaded the software and copied the instructions to a text file on my desktop and rebooted into safe mode. When I got to the login screen, as soon as I clicked a user, the screen locked up and I could not type anything and had to reset my PC to reboot.

I tried to log back in normally and the same thing happened.

So, I booted from my WinXP cd and did a 'R'epair. After the repair, chkdsk found a whole mess of files on my D partition which were missing chains and such. I booted into safe mode and followed the instructions linked above and still had spyware. Upon further searching this fine site, I found a link which suggested I download and run MyPCUninstaller.exe, which finally seemed to kill the spyware.

It was after I ran these programs that I logged in normally and got the Automatic updates window. When installing all the updates, the Spybot resident immunizer trapped several registry changes, which I allowed.

However, since rebooting, none of my office programs will install and I get errors from the Windows update site when I try to scan. It won't give me results.

My previous system restore points were trashed after the repair, so I have nothing to go back to. I cannot get the Autoupdate downloader to detect more updates.

So I'm stuck. My internet is slow as heck, too, but that may just be Cox tonight, but my service with them has NEVER been this slow. I think perhaps active x is screwed up, but I'm not sure.

I'm considering reinstalling SP2, but I don't know if that is wise, hence my post to you guys. All I can get right now is the download for network deployment.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to reinstall my C partition!

Thanks.

Edited by toddtharp, 20 April 2005 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

toddtharp

toddtharp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
PS:

I just tried to download and install the Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB884020) and it told me I don't have a high enough level of updates and to install SP 2.

The version shows as:
C:\>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]