Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

connecting two monitors

• Please log in to reply

bodingtonsboy

bodingtonsboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there iam tryin to install a second monitor (sony kdl-26U300) this has been connected via a 5M HDMI to DVI CABLE w/FERRITE the resolution is set to 1366*768 and 60htz rr. When this is the secondary display (as an extented desktop), it seems to be ok but when i make it the primary one(which is what i need it to do) after a few mins the display starts to fade and go blocky then freezes altogether. There is no warning from my graphics card to say it is overheating so i dont know what i'm doing wrong, as you can imagine im very concerned for both my monitors and my graphics card, what do you recommend ?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hi bodingtonsboy, and welcome to Geeks To Go!

Can you answer a few questions for us so we can better help you?

What graphics card(s) are you using? How is the second monitor connected?

Also, graphics cards don't typically warn you when they are overheating.

bodingtonsboy

bodingtonsboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, cheers for the reply well i'm using a radeon x800pro i'm not to sure how the other monitor is connected its not hd its an lg flatron L1730b i connected it with the cables that came with it are they vga's im not to sure, oh and my graphic card has warned me before that it was over heating

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Try disconnecting the old monitor and see if the problem continues.

bodingtonsboy

bodingtonsboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
And just use the one monitor ? and do you know what the highest temperture my graphics card should reach at a safe level ?

bodingtonsboy

bodingtonsboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Rite ive tryed to sony on its own and it just does the same as before freezes and then fades out to white, this is driving me MAD !!