Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no video on HP desktop

• Please log in to reply

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
hi all, I need a little help. I have an HP desktop that has integrated video and I am getting nothing to the monitor. I am hoping that I can fix this without replacing the entire mobo, is this possible? I have a PCI slot that I could use to install a new video card in but I am not sure how that would work. If I install the new card would that fix my issue? and if so when I do install it can I plug my monitor in immediately and get video or would their be additional steps I would have to take to actually get video from the new card?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Do you know how this occurred? Perhaps we could fix the problem and avoid having you have to buy a new video card.

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
unfortunately no I am not sure. I shut it down and the next day I tried to boot up and had no video.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
So you are saying that no changes that you know of occurred between when it was working and when it was not, correct?

Does the monitor power on, but just not display anything? If so, perhaps the cable carrying the video from the computer came loose. You might want to check to make sure it is plugged in all the way to both the computer and the monitor.

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I double checked everything and even tried another monitor, I still have no video.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Do you know if the computer has a case speaker?
When the computer was working did it give a single beep on powerup indicating it passed post?
What model hp is it?

If you have a spare video card try it but don't purchase one just yet because this could be a number of things.
Does the fan in the power supply spin when started?

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I don't beleive there is a case speaker in the system. I have never heard any beeps on startup.

The computer is a HP Pavilion XL918

No, I don't have any spare PCI video cards around. I do have a AGP card but this board has no AGP slots.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Problably don't have a case speaker then, this could be a psu or motherboard problem as well as a video card, its really hard to tell without swapping parts.

How about that psu fan, is it spinning? If not that would indicate that the psu has failed

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Yes the fan is spinning

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Without a case speaker and swapping parts in and out to find the problem the only thing I can think of is to reseat everything like the psu connections and the ram. Then remove the motherboard battery for 10 minutes with the machine unplugged. Then replace and cross fingers.

This is a long shot but it won't cost anything. Do any friends have a spare psu or a pci video card you could barrow.

I keep a couple old pci cards around just for occasions like this

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks so much for helping me guys. I will try these steps out tomorrow and get back to you asap.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Another thing you could try is to test the psu with a digital volt meter. Start up the computer and insert the red prob into the yellow wire on back of the 20/24 pin connection, touch the black probe to the case.

Do the same with the red and orange wire.

report the voltages here for evaluation

OTXXSX

OTXXSX

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This computer has a surface mount speaker/buzzer, I desoldered mine because it was making a buzz noise 24/7 even when the power cable was disconnected.
But I was missing NTLDR from my hard drive so I fixed that, then when I restarted my computer to see if it would work without my floppy disk, it didn't pop up any picture.