Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reliability Monitor

• Please log in to reply

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
My latest reliability index is 4.10! What can i do to get this fixed? I also notice that a lot of my programs are encountering errors... Wacom Service, firefox.exe, etc. and are all unexpectedly closing with the extremely unhelpful Vista error reporting dialog box. My guess is misbehaving or unlinked DLLs. What can I do to improve the reliability of my programs overall?
I'm running Vista Home Premium. I don't have the balls yet to get SP1, so I'm still on - um - SP0.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,067 posts
lol so i'm down to 1.77....
I wish there was a way to revert back to 10, just to make me feel better. :)
Any ideas?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I hadn't even noticed that index before. Very nice! :)

For the benefit of others viewing this thread, it can be viewed by opening the Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, Reliability and Performance Monitor, and finally under Monitoring Tools select Reliability Monitor.

My machine is currently at 7.19, and coincidentally a lot of my crashes are also Firefox.

The tool does make it fairly easy to identify the problems. You can also be penalized for things like "disruptive shutdowns". To be scoring that low you must have an application that's consistently crashing.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I am jealous! :)

My highest is 5.1, my lowest is 4.8
Which means my index is 4.8 :)

Coincidentally, I have had numerous FireFox hangs, and several Exploder hangs.
Exploder alwaays seems to hang up right about when my gadget sidebar is suppose to load. Perhaps not using that would improve things.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hmmm, hadn't noticed that either, mines 10 though :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
So, do you have the sidebar running?

Other than the basics, I have sidebar, which seems to be associated with my exploder hangs, (I have 9 gadgets). I have my gmail notifier, my bioscrypt fingerprint reader and my antivirus program, at boot up.

I am curious as to what you guys have going on start up.

I have also customized my visual effects to a bit of a balance between appearance and performance and I have tweaked the services so that some programs no longer start automatically.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I have side bar running 5 gagets
Ups monitor program
AVG
Folding@Home

Haven't tweaked the services, didn't see the need to, I dual boot with XP, vista runs a bit slower than XP but on my older hardware that can be expected. I could really use another gig of ram

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I had a service running that crashed everytime it starts up (WacomService, anybody else use a Bamboo in Vista?) and so I used the autoruns Winternal app to disable it. My index is slowly climbing again, and its back to 3.26! I'm jealous of Doby... you must have a perfect system!
I also noticed that it took a hit when I installed SP1... but i uninstalled that a while ago.