Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can install both different types of RAM

• Please log in to reply

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Can I install both DDR and DDR2 at the same time if my motherboard supports both?

If not, then kindly please explain why? What could be the possibly happened?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No that won't work and if you try the computer won't boot and could possibly damage the board. Correct me if I am wrong but there are only a couple of manufactuers (gigabyte and msi) who have both dimms on some of there boards and it clearly states in the specs/manual that you have to run one or the other or possible damage could occur

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I see, thanks Sir! :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

No that won't work and if you try the computer won't boot and could possibly damage the board. Correct me if I am wrong but there are only a couple of manufactuers (gigabyte and msi) who have both dimms on some of there boards and it clearly states in the specs/manual that you have to run one or the other or possible damage could occur

All manufacturers at some point made crossover boards. Asrock certainly did it.

That is, boards that support SDRAM and DDR. Can't use both together, it'll eat the Windows installation.
Now we have boards that support DDR2 and DDR3. Again, don't use both together.