Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ok upgrading my PC tell me what you think.

• Please log in to reply

Khazrek

Khazrek

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
im uping my PC so i can run the up and coming game Age Of Conan. this is what i have atm.

Motherboard: K9N SLI Platinum. AMD
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
RAM: 4GB 533
VideoCard : 8800 GTS 320MB X1
Power supply: 550W
running windows XP 32bit.

Everything else i think im ok on CD drivers and so on. sound card is 7.1 sound blaster. hmmm this is what i wanna get

Motherboard: its fine i know i dont need a new one... i hope haha.
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) X2
VideoCard : 8800 GTS 320MB just another one SLI! Woots...
Power supply: Thermaltake W0131RU ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade

getting all this from new egg so what yall think?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
specs The board maynot support that cpu.

Here It says its supported since 1.a

But here I can't find a bios update 1a, unless I'm missing something, maybe someone else will know

Khazrek

Khazrek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hmm ok so get a 5200+ to be safe? [bleep] its still a upgrade.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
yes that would be the safest bet, I just don't understand the way they list the bios versions/updates, I am not saying the 6400 won't work you may be able to flash the bios with the latest version with the cpu you now have and then install the 6400 and everthing will work great but its just this confusion over the way they have the bios versions listed that has me leary of telling you that it will work.

hopefully someone else has done this board and will know the exact answer

Khazrek

Khazrek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
blah. should just skip out on the processor hahaha i hate the way the warn you about flashing your BIOs anyway IF IT Fs UP NOT OUR FAULT hahah

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If you flash the bios in pure dos its like 98% that it will work, its just this flashing within windows stuff thats 50/50.

Follow the motherboard manual's instructions or the manufactuers website instructions for flashing in dos and you will be alright.

I normally do not give instructions on flashing bios because there is to may things that can go wrong (power failures,wrong bios ) that are out of my controll!

Khazrek

Khazrek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok bit of a update : )

Going for a 1000W PS so later on in the years or whatever i can add stuff without worring about power : )
going for a 6000+ AMD (the other one was over clocked didn't see that heh) i know i still need to Flash my Bios but ill do that befor i get the CPU (praying it will work ><) if not ill just buy a Diffrent MB (ugh)

Got the RAM 4GB G.Skill look cool and sexy and fit in nicly and run very well (800MHZ)

I was thinking about getting Vista 64bit whats the DIf between the 32bit and 64bit? im looking to run games at the best setting i can but i hear from friends that the 64bit is a bit unstable true?