Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Messages and More Issues

• Please log in to reply

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My dad bought me a used laptop for school about 3 months ago. When I got it from him all seemed to be fine. I downloaded the AVGFree software and some other things. I tend to be sort of a download junkie going to sites like download.com to download whatever people think are good programs and I end up never using them and deleting the programs. Im guessing something I downloaded gave me this problem Im having.

Out of nowhere while I was on the internet there was this error message saying that Internet Explorer had encountered a error and needed to close. It gave me the options to either Debug, Send an error report or cancel. I figured sending an error report would be best. I thought after that I could get back online to finish my work but that error message kept coming up quicker each time and each time IE was closed my work was lost. I figured since IE was having so many problems that I would use my other browser Opera. It worked for a while but ended up doing to same thing. I knew something was really wrong when I restarted my computer and without even clicking on EITHER of my web browsers the error messages for them both popped up. I had work to do and I had already went through a windows 2000 and another XP trying to play tech whiz after encountering problems with them and I didnt just want to start deleting things and screw it up worse. I had work to do so I headed to my other computer "The Vista" to finish my work and decided to come back to the XP laptop and get help to fix the problem right later that evening. Well I kinda ended up forgetting about the XP altogether only using it every now and again to download my old files from it.

Today I had actually forgotten about the laptop even having those problems after getting on the internet for about 3 to 5 hours only to see the error message again. I wanted to fix it but not right then. I wanted to play the sims first because I had been so busy with work that I had actually not played my favorite game in months. I start the program and halfway through it cuts off and I see... The sims has encountered an error and will now close. Then Im pissed lol. I need to get this fixed before it spreads to my other programs or before it wont let me get on my computer at all!

There have also been a few times -recently- where Ive seen a blue screen and then out of nowhere the computer restarts. I had never really payed much attention to what the blue screens said cause they always rebooted me so fast but yeah thats another problem im having.

Ya know its strange sometimes I cant get online at all but I typed this entire thing on my Opera browser and it didnt error message me but I know it will soon and Im a slow typer so Im gonna end typing now. Thanks to whoever helps me with this!

~*Jasz

Downloaded HiJack This....

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   2.47KB   105 downloadspartial log only

Edited by wannabe1, 16 January 2008 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JaszyPye...

We'll need to get the stop code to help us try to figure out what's causing this machine to blue screen.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section at the bottom, click on the "Settings" button. Remove the tick from the box next to "Automatically Restart" and apply the change.

Run the machine until it blue screens again...the next time it happens, the BSOD should stay on the screen. Give us all the numbers and any file names you see on that screen.

wannabe1

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok I did that but Ive only seen the Blue screen only about twice in four months. I have been waiting to see it again but I dont think that it will show again for a really long time. More of my programs seem to be closing as soon as I open them with error messages now. It seems like Internet Explorer isnt closing like it used to. As a matter of fact its the only thing that will stay open. Do you have anyway to get rid of this problem without having to wait on the blue screen seeing as it may take weeks to show up? Thank You so much. I wont touch anything unless you tell me to do so.

~*Jasz

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I actually kind of think that malware is a major player in the problems you're having. Because blue screen errors can give us a big hint at where the problem lies, whether hardware or software is involved, it's a nice place to start.

Let's get the rig checked for malware. Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you post a link to your malware topic or let me know when you've posted it, I can follow along. That may give me more of an idea of what the problem is.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
As soon as I read your last post my computer started to freeze up and the blue screen came up again and stayed on~
I wrote down every word...

~_~_~_~_~__~_~_~_~__~_~_~__~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~__~_~_~_

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

Kernel_data_inpage_error

If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.
If this screen appears again follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable and remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory such as caching or shadowing, If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start-Up options and then select safe mode

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
*** STOP: 0x0000007A
(0xc02017D4)
(0xc000000E)
(0x805F5A64)
(0x0350F860)

Beginning dump of physical memory...

Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or tech support group for further assistance.

~_~_~_~__~_~__~_~__~_~_~__~_~__~_~_~__~_~_~__~_~_~_~__~_~_~__~_~__~_~__~_~_~

I hope this helps. Oh yeah I did the scans from the page and EVERYTHING comes up clean. I hope that you can help me find the problem. The laptops slowing down and freezing more than often.

Once again Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to help me out! :) Its much appreciated!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is a pretty generic code, but it did narrow it down to hardware. It could be any one of a number of things so we'll go at them one at a time.

First, let's check the drive for bad blocks. To do this we're going to need to run a disk check before Windows loads. Do you have an XP installation cd? The best way to run the check is through Recovery Console...which is on the cd. If you don't have that, we can still run it through command line.

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Im sorry...Ive never had an XP installation disc :) Im glad that there may still a way to fix the problem without it * Just tell me what to do next and I'll get started!

Jasz~

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok". This will open a command session window.

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r.)

You will be told that the drive is in use and asked if you want to run the check on the next boot. Type Y and press "Enter".

Type exit and press "Enter" to close the command session.

Reboot.

This will be a very comprehensive check of the hard drive and the file system. It's very long and may appear to hang or even back up a time or two...this is normal, let it finish. It will usually run for about an hour, but can take longer depending on what it finds. When it completes. your machine should boot to Windows. Let me know how this goes...

===================================

Once chkdsk completes, download, install, and run WinAudit on the machine. Save a report in HTML format...this will create 3 files. E-mail me the one named rightframe.html (right.html on some machines)...I'll PM you with my addres. This is a quite large report and will take me a bit to look over, but should give me quite a bit of additional information about your system and it's hardware/software configuration. There is a tutorial for saving a report HERE.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Got the report and have given it a once over. It looks like the error is actually loosely based on the interplay between Windows and the basic input output system (BIOS). That's a hardware problem alright, but sure isn't what I expected... :)

I'll need to have the model number of your Compaq to see if there is a BIOS revision available for your machine...your BIOS version is dated 08/2000. We should be able to find something newer than that so it will play with the ACPI a little better.

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sorry that its getting difficult to figure out this problem.
Heres the info that you asked for...

Its a Compaq Armada M300

I think thats all that you needed. If not let me know what else you need.

BTW Remember when I said I only see that Blue screen once every two months? Well I dont know if it was something I did but now I see that blue screen every 30 minutes and I always have to restart my computer afterwards losing all of my information in the process. Just thought Id share whats going on.

:) Thank you for helping me out!!~ Jasz

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As a way to make sure this is a BIOS issue and not a device driver problem, let's run the machine in safe mode for a bit and see if you still get the bsod.

Restart the machine and tap the F8 key during the startup process. When you see the Advanced Startup screen, use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" and press "Enter". It will load a bunch of files and will likely pause at the last one for a minute or two...then start in Safe Mode. Log in to your account and let the machine run this way long enough to either get a bsod...or not.

Let me know either way. If you do get a bsod, jot down the information on the screen and post it here for us.

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok I've been running the computer in safe mode since yesterday around 1pm. Its now 10:00am and nothing has happened.

No Blue screen yet. I dont know whether thats a good or bad thing but I'll continue to let it run in safe mode until you tell me what to do next okay*

Thanks~ Jasz :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's actually very good news!

That points to the problem being a device driver rather than the BIOS problem. Let it run for a bit longer in Safe Mode...if you see no bsod's in the next few hours, we'll see if we can pinpoint which driver is the culprit.

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Been running in safe mode for a long time now. No Blue screen yet :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
While waiting for Wannabe1, try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.