Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer turns on, no display...

• Please log in to reply

elfalko

elfalko

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello, thanks for reading. I have a computer about a year old. The monitor will go completely black and about 10 seconds later the computer will turn off. Then when i try to turn it back on, everything starts up but no display comes on. I notice that the video card fan doesnt start to spin when this happens. Also on my case there is a red and a green light, the red light is on but not the green.

Then randomly one time the green light will come on and itll start loading, sometimes it will turn off but sometimes it will go all the way to desktop and then turn off a few minutes later.

sometimes i press power and it only turns on for a second then shuts off. Its so confusing. Ive tried taking out my cmos battery thing and moving my ram around. Usually the light will stay red (no display and no video card fan spinning) until i make some kind of change internally. Its very random and sad.... i baught a new power supply about 4 months ago because my comp wouldnt turn on at all. Was working fine until now. my warranty ran out last week too..

my specs:
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
POWERSUPPLY: Apevia 680W Iceberg Power Supply [+103] (Blue Color ATX-IB680W-BL)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
MONITOR: SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22"

thank you

Edited by elfalko, 16 January 2008 - 10:26 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Do the motherboard has an on-board video connection? If yes, remove the add-on video card, connect to the on-board and see what happens. If not, try to get hold of another video card, even an old pci card, remove the present card and run the computer.

2: Download from the link in my signature Microsoft Menory diagnostic tool. Create a bootable CD and run a memory scan for some 30 minutes. No errors should be found.

3: If you can "borrow" a psu from another computer, run a test with the replacement.

elfalko

elfalko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks for reply,

how do i know if its on-board video?

to use a bootable CD thing dont i need to have my computer on for the 30 minutes? it wont stay on that long, and hardly ever actually displays anything

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your computer has no on-board video card, I checked this. My gut feeling is that the problem is with your video card, but that's only a gut feeling. Since the problem can be the result of almost any piece of hardware we want to test it in stages.

Run the memory test. If the computer fails then we did a step forword. Watch the screen while the test runs and see if it shows any errors.

elfalko

elfalko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay i have new info.. i got it to desktop a few more times.. and finally i got it to stay on for 15 minutes... and i figured out what makes it shut off ONCE its on all the way. Well i usually have it on its side on my lap so i can look inside and everytime i try to set it back down when its on, and that makes the monitor go black instantly followed in 10 seconds by shut off. so i kept it on my lap and it worked fine for 15 minutes, then tried to set it down and poof no more computer :). Sounds like a connection loose or something i dunno? should i try replacing everything ?? anyways gotta go to school thanks for reading again~

elfalko

elfalko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
anyone have any idea?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Honestly, I didn't understand your last post. It's a desktop isn't it? and if it is, then why would keep it on your lap? A desktop is not made for this kind of rattle. Disconnect it from power, open the box and check that all the parts and cables sit properly in place. Do the same with the external cables. Place the computer where you wish and just leave it there.

elfalko

elfalko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes its a desktop but i had it sitting on my lap because i was looking inside