Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Adminstrative Rights

• Please log in to reply

ChristinaB

ChristinaB

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) In order for me to use your programs provided in the forums as directed I need to restore my administrative rights. There's been a hostile take over of my admin rights and I don't know how to fix it. I don't have control panel, I can't access the system restore, task manager has been disabled by the new administrator, my computer doesn't restart it shuts down and when I restart my computer I get "Active Desktop Recovery" with a restore button that it ignores or doesn't work. If anyone can help me regain control of my computer I would appreciate it. OR if not, would it be real bad if I had to skip a couple steps in the instructions? :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ChristinaB...

It would help if you can at least post a HiJackThis log for them to look at, but if you are having problems of that nature, just post your problem as you have here and see if they can help you get the information they need to get things cleaned up.

wannabe1

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I dunno if this would work, but it may be worth a try.

Try booting your computer in safe mode to get access to the default admin account. You may be able to do things from there.