Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Payroll Software Recommendations

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a specific program to use for my payroll. I am expecting to pay for a program, but if there's something that's free... :)

Currently I do everything manually and it's time-consuming... :)

Basically something where I can input staff information (hours, DOB etc...) and current wages and then it can spit everything out for me, like a summary of how much everyone is owed so I can do the bank transfers for wages, and also (a plus) it could spit out a pay-slip for everyone. It seems like the local shop only sells payroll software that's integrated, such as MYOB or Quicken. Are these good? They sure are expensive!

Any programs? Or any not to get? :)

Thanks,

Troy.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look at MS Accounting 2007. There's a free version with just the basics.

starsd

starsd

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I use QuickBooks Pro 2007 and it does payroll. pretty solid and reputable app. paid $100 with coupon from costco.

Some banks even interface with it so it's even easier for you.

I own a small business dealing in aircraft parts.

what kind of business do you have / manage ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Have a look at MS Accounting 2007. There's a free version with just the basics.

Hey there wannabe1, does the MS Accounting 2007 program have a payroll option? That's the bit I'm after, I won't be using the accounting section at all.

Clicking on the link takes me to this page (a 404 - cannot be found).

I use QuickBooks Pro 2007 and it does payroll. pretty solid and reputable app. paid $100 with coupon from costco.

Some banks even interface with it so it's even easier for you.

I own a small business dealing in aircraft parts.

what kind of business do you have / manage ?

Hi starsd, just a quick note, I'm in Australia, so the prices would probably be different. I'm not really worried about what the banks interface with, but I thought it might be cool if I could just e-mail my accountant a file and he could open it to get everything he needs... I'll find out what he uses.

I have a Trolley Collection contract business (I think some countries call them shopping carts), where I get paid a set amount each fortnight and I have to ensure that the job gets done. I work, employ and do the rosters, pays, etc... It's quite fun, and definitely very interesting at times... And hopefully, I can spend less than what I get paid each fortnight and make a profit! :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look those programs up further.

Troy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Heh...they changed the website at some point...very recently.

http://www.ideawins.com

Try that one. Yes, it does support payroll. And it has a free trial download.

I use Quickbooks Pro, as well...but it's a little spendy most places.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I own Office Ultimate 2007, does that have an integrated Accounting bit? Silly question, I know, but I purchased it from here, and I don't think I actually got the full download (to keep download sizes minimal). Maybe Microsoft would send me the disc (for a small fee)?

Quickbooks Pro, funny you both use it. It might be expensive, but is it worth it? Good product, compatability, ease-of-use? I'll most probably check out the free trial of MS Accounting when I get home.

Thanks for your replies :)

Troy

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Doesn't matter, after spending some time researching the Microsoft Accounting program, it's only useful for US and UK businesses... So I'm currently working through the trial of Quicken Quickbooks Plus (not Pro), it has the payroll addition I want, but it's given me a whole bunch of errors when I tried to save all the data I entered and exit the program :)

Any other recommendations anybody has? I think I'll also try downloading the trial for MYOB, it's also a very popular program and my friend has suggested it to me.

Cheers,

Troy.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Just in case anyone is interested, I've had a good look at the MYOB Accounting Plus program, it seems pretty good. My head office uses this program as well, they recommended it to me, and a guy is going to come and help me set it up specifically for my business. I pretty much just want the payroll information, but anything else I can learn to use out of it (and save time) is a bonus. :)

Thanks for your recommendations and comments.

Troy