Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen saying stop: 0x0000008E

• Please log in to reply

helloeverybody

helloeverybody

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
blue screen saying stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8055D07C, 0xF94459AC, 0x00000000

i am having problems staring my pc after finishing the start up(i.e after the icons and the desktop has come the pc shuts with the above bllue screen message.

i can not even get to safe mode

last time i was using my pc i was using the net and at one time i downloaded a codec i didnt know what it is .

any help appreciated

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi helloeverybody...

From the information you've provided, this sounds suspiciously like a rootkit infection (rustock) I've run into before. Before I send you off to the Malware Forum, let's see if we can verify this and get the machine running so the experts can help you clean it up. This is a nasty infection if that is, indeed, what is causing the problem.

You will need to access Recovery Console for this. Do you have an XP installation cd?

wannabe1

helloeverybody

helloeverybody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yeah i have an installation cd but i dont know how i can verify if threre is rootkit cos i cant start my pc

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll use Recovery Console to see whether or not it's the rootkit I suspect that's preventing the machine from starting.

Boot your machine to the XP cd...watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot to cd"...press the spacebar when you see this prompt.

When you see the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press the R key to enter Recovery Console.

Use the arrow keys to select the operating system to be accessed...this is usually already selected.

When you are prompted for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter" (unless you have set a password...then input that).

When you see the command prompt (usually C:\Windows), type disable pe386 and press "Enter".

Then type exit and press "Enter" to quit Recovery Console. The machine should restart.

Let it try to boot normally. Does it start either in normal or safe mode after doing this?

helloeverybody

helloeverybody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
cuz things was beginning to worsen i installed fresh copy and my pc is working normally now

oky my pc was formated into two partions so i transfered some data i want to keep to the other drive which doesnt have operating system and i formated and installed fresh copy of xp home edition.

but i dont know if there is some kind of malware or rootkit there in my datas how can i ensure this wont happen again and how i can i scan my data (i.e hte other partion where my data is

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What are you using for your Anti-virus protection? What ever it is, use it to scan the 2nd drive. When that completes, pick two from the following list of online scanners and run them against the 2nd drive as well:

All these scanners require you to use Internet Explorer because they need to install an ActiveX component to run the scan.

Also, what firewall are you using. The default XP firewall is better than nothing but one like Comodo Firewall is much better.