Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable

• Please log in to reply

stoodsy

stoodsy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hallo,

I am wondering if someone will be able to help me.

About 2 weeks ago I first recieved this error message when I started up my laptop;

'PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable' then the message 'Operating System not Found' is displayed and the laptop hangs at this message.

After about 20-25 attempts to re-start my laptop, it finally started up and worked fine. The next night the same thing happened, and again after about 20 - 25 re-starts the laptop booted up and worked fine.

I have since carried out some research on this problem and I have tried a few solutions posted on various other resources but have not had any luck in solving the problem.

The laptop is a Compaq Presario 2114EA, Intel Celeron Processor 1.9GHz (I think), 256Mb RAM, 30G HDD.

It is running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2.

The solutions I have tried so far are;

1. Checking the BIOS boot order. I have set the boot order in various orders and all fail to solve the problem. It is currently set to boot from HDD first.

2. I have reset the BIOS to the default settings and this didn't work.

3. I finally wiped the HDD and re-installed Windows XP and I am still getting the same error message.

The strange thing about this problem is that when I first enter the BIOS settings it says that it cannot detect the HDD, in other words it just says [NONE] next to the HDD description. However, if I pesist with re-starting the laptop (20-25 times) it eventually boots. If I then restart the laptop it boots up without a problem and if I enter the BIOS it shows the HDD as being detected. It's a HITACHI HDD.

From what I have read on various forums, it sounds like the HDD could be faulty or on its way out. I am wondering if there is anyone who may have any other ideas why I am receiving this error message or if there is anything else I can try to solve the problem?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sounds more like a dead CMOS battery. If this goes dead, as soon as you turn off your system, CMOS loses all saved settings (BIOS settings).

Change out the battery, reset your BIOS to how you want/need it and try again.

Murray

stoodsy

stoodsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Murray,

Thanks for your suggestion. I know what a CMOS battery is and what it is used for, however I am not sure how to find it on my laptop or how to gain access? Also, are all CMOS batteries standard size / rating or will I have to buy one which is compatible with my laptop / motherboard?

Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Your best bet here would be to open the case and take the battery out.

Your laptop manual should have the instructions on how to do this and where the battery is located.

If you don't have the manual, then check the manufacturers website.

Many have the battery located in a compartment under the ran modules but that is just one place it may be.

Murray

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
PXE has to do with booting from the network. Since you have the HD as the first boot device, this indicates the HD is either failing or some connector is lose.

Try this, go into BIOS Setup and disable Boot from Network (wording is different on every machine, may say Integrated NIC, Network, PXE-xxxxxxx).

I don't think disabling this will resolve the problem though as the HD is the first boot device and should boot from there long before it tries to boot from the network.

Now if the CMOS battery is dead or dying as Murray S. mentioned, and the boot order is getting screwed up then replacing the battery and setting the boot order should resolve this.

Edited by Ztruker, 18 January 2008 - 08:56 AM.

stoodsy

stoodsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

Thankyou for the replies, I will try both suggestions when I get home from work tonight and will keep you updated on my progress. Hopefully one of the two suggestions will solve the problem!

Best regards,

Tony.

stoodsy

stoodsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Guys,

I have tried to find the facility to disable 'boot from network' but cannot work out or find how to do this once in the BIOS. As I have not managed this part I have not yet gone ahead with the CMOS battery change. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

batman16

batman16

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, don't know if you figured out your problem but i think i have the answer you are looking for. there are aprox 17 steps follow them in order. this is for reinstalling software in a panasonic cf-30 toughbook.

drop me an email at [Removed]

ty

Edited by wannabe1, 24 August 2009 - 09:53 AM.
Remove e-mail address