Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with JAVA and IE 7 for certain Web pages

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hello, I recently bought a new Vista OS PC which I use for remote work. I am having a problem seeing a Java enabled Webpage on my company's Intranet. Bascially, when I click a certain link on one of the intranet pages IE just goes away, no errors, messages anything. I know that the link creates a grid control and I believe it uses Java to display this. I have an XP machine right next to me and the page opens there just fine. The version of Java on the XP machine is 1.4.0_01, on the new Vista machine I have two versions of Java installed, the one previously mentioned and also 1.6.0_01 -b07.

If I disable the 1.4 version through manage ADD-ons in the IE tools menu then instead of aborting outright I get a message that states "Browser must support Java to view ColdFusion Java Applets", of course it still doesn't work. If I disable the newere version then the page aborts.

Any ideas?

David

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
First, download the newest Java update here:

http://www.java.com/...dows_manual.jsp

Now, try uninstalling both of the older Java versions, and install this one. It will work.

Anyway, having 2 Java updates installed WILL cause lots of problems. That's probably why your page wasn't displayed properly and was crashing when the older version was disabled.

~Kelvin