Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ME ! i can't hear sound from my internet!

• Please log in to reply

d-rawk

d-rawk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have windows vista basic. I can hear sound from limewire and itunes and such but i can not hear any sound what so ever from the internet like youtube and everything else. i have tried basically everything. i downloaded flash player and that didnt do anything and i did a whole bunch of other stuff but this is not working !!! This happened once before and about a week later the sound came back randomly.. but this time... the sound is not coming back at all. please help me I NEED SOUND !!!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have Quicktime or Quicktime Alternative (my preference) installed? If not, try one or the other and see if that resolves the problem.

Quicktime Alternative
Apple Quicktime

d-rawk

d-rawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yeah no it didnt work. i dont think downloading anything will help though... i dont know .. i downloaded so much but none of that works.

d-rawk

d-rawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
can someone help me please.... my sound is still not working and i still have no information that will help me. and i havnt got any other replies. i was jsut wondering if i have to like email someone or wait for them to post on this.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since you are using limewire, you may have picked up some malware. Read through this area:

Cleanup Your System.

This takes care of the many of the problems without further action by the Malware Gurus on this site.

If this doesn't do it, post a HijackThis log here:

Malware Removal Forum.

Make sure you read the You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log article before posting.

Please be patient, this is a very active anti-malware site and the malware removal experts are extremely busy. It can take 1 to 3 days for them to get to you.

d-rawk

d-rawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i really dont think that its anything that was picked up from limewire. ill try this but the reason idotn think its a lime wire thing is because this has happened once before on this computer and just magically came back. i think its my computer... not any software. someone posted something on another forum that looked like it would have worked only it was for a diff. computer type so i would need diffrent directions. ill show you what they said and maybe youll understand and givem e directions for windows vista.

d-rawk

d-rawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
here is how it was a posting on an adobe fourm I found about 6 pages deep on the google search for no sound from youtube:

Alright the problem is really the mapping of wavemapper in Windows registry as reported by one member of the forum. All you need to do is to open registry editor by going to Start menu, Run, typing regedit and then Enter. After that, in the registry editor, walk yourself through the tree in the left pane, till you reach

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And then on the right pane, right click and click on New, select String value, enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course), ENTER, type "msacm32.drv", ENTER.

Close the editor. No need to restart. Video on Google and YouTube et al would work fine now.

Thanks to the member who pointed out the key. I just mentioned the procedure.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, I don't have Vista. I did check and I do have that key on my XP Pro system though. Have you tried creating it as written? Shouldn't hurt anything and who knows, it may fix it.

Edit: I asked for some help from a Vista knowledgeable person.

Edited by Ztruker, 29 January 2008 - 04:33 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A suggestion from my request for help: Uninstall Flash player then install the latest available from Adobe Flash Download Center

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I would say check your volume in vista each program has it's own individual volume meters.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
More help on this. The reg key is valid in Vista so if it is not an individual volume problem, try adding the registry key.

As always, before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

Edit: Just realized I don't know if ERUNT works with Vista or not. Will have to check.

Edited by Ztruker, 29 January 2008 - 07:52 PM.

d-rawk

d-rawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
how do i add a registry key ?

d-rawk

d-rawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
when i go to the start menu... "run" is not there

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Pressing Windows Key + R should bring up the Run dialog, at least it does in XP.

d-rawk

d-rawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
o yeah it does but then all the box says is "type the name of a program, folder, document, or Internet resource and windows will open it for you." it doesnt say " typing regedit and then Enter" anywere.