Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wont start up

• Please log in to reply

Anagii

Anagii

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I can't access my laptop at the moment because it wont go past the "windows is starting..." screen. Before this I had alot of "explorer.exe - bad image" errors poping up... and when my computer switched to a different log in screen and wouldnt let me log on, as in it would log on then right back off, I tried to repair my Windows XP Home Edition but the only thing that did was get it back to to the old log in screen. (Durring the repair alot of items couldnt be found though.) And when I restarted my computer it wouldnt go past the "windows is starting.." screen. Please help me quick... I also don't wanna lose my inportant information on the computer so if there is anyway to do it without completely wiping the system please tell me how.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Anagii,

you need to backup your data before doing any additional repair work as the possibility of losing everything increase as more things are tried.

To do this, you are going to have to buy an external USB enclosure that can mount your 2.5" laptop hard drive in it. Then you can connect it to any computer that has USB 2.0 support and copy your data somewhere for safe keeping. I've seen them as low as $20 at places like TigerDirect and NewEgg.

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode by pressing F5 or F8 during the early part of the boot process? If you get the Windows boot option menu, select Safe Mode, login as Administrator (no password) then do a System restore to a date before this started happening.

You can get to System Restore by clicking on Start then Programs, Accessories, System Tools and finally System Restore.