Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old threats not detected by Spybot as of Jan 9?

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I noticed a few days ago that after the Jan. 9 update for Spybot S&D the following are no longer detected and are missing from the Security.sbi tab:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisabled
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.UpdateDisableNotify

This is for version 1.4.

Can anyone tell me if these are present or not on your system? (To find Security.sbi: In advanced mode, click Settings [on left side of window], "Ignore Products," "Security.sbi" tab [might need to make the column wider to see the whole name]).

If these are missing, then others might be too and that is worrisome.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
These are not essentials by any stretch of the imagination and its easy to toggle these settings from the Security Center manually anyway.
All these do is cause Security Center to bug the end-user that (it thinks) there's nothing there, or that the virus is out of date, or the firewall's off, or whatever.
In fact this pointless gimmick called the Security Center was the first thing I got rid of after installing Service Pack 2.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I agree they are not essential, but there did not seem to be a reason to stop the detections after two years of having them and could have been a sign of corrupted definition files (so there might have been more important definitions missing as well).

In any case, I got a reply today from Spybot and as of late the changes to security center are only detected if made maliciously (in case anyone was curious as I was). :)