Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is freeware safe?

• Please log in to reply

lorran

lorran

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have heard the pros and cons of downloading and installing software that is offered as freeware. But I have used the free AVG Antivirus and Firefox programs for the past two years without any problems. Of course, there are no guarantees of complete security and safety with anything. Does anyone have advice on using freeware or shareware? Any safeguards to recommend? I know that after I download and install any program I always run my AVG just to be on the safe side. Whether this helps knock out any potential virus or spyware is unknown. But I like to think it helps. One thing I know for sure is that if my computer behaves strangely in any way after installing anything new I simply uninstall it. I would greatly appreciate any advice, especially if anyone has any personal experience with freeware or shareware. Thank you.

lorran

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would watch mostly where you acquire this freeware. It can sometimes be bundled with malware so it is something to watch out for. P2P downloading programs is an example of a legit program that is bundled with malware. If you stick to legit sites you will for the most part be alright. My recommendations are http://majorgeeks.com/ and http://www.download.com/.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you are downloading programs such as AVG from the developer, or Major Geeks, then you're fine. It's when a "rogue" application is developed that you have issues. AVG offers decent protection. Avast! is also very good protection from what I hear. Do you have any firewalls installed? How about anti-spyware protection?