Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Spyware survives reformatting [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kinderdm

kinderdm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, i seem to have a virus or spyware that is capable of surviving my reformatting attempts. When i reformat it seems to be gone until the second i give my computer an internet connection. After connecting the internet there seems to be a massive influx of a large number of viruses that are listed in these forums. Basically I would much rather reformat as opposed to spending several days to weeks figuring out this problem but I need to know if there is a way that I can reformat that would prevent any data from surviving. The infections im refering to include among the most noticable; hwclock, scrtkfg, salm, and these apparently lead me to mediaaccess. There are many others but ill try not to waste time. If this question/topic should be posted in another thread please let me know or if i need to post additional information on the specific infections such as a HijackThis log file please let me know. Thank you very much for any help you can give and if there is no known solution or what i described is totally insane then i suppose i will try the step methods of removal. Thank you.

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
After reformat, if you don't immediately install service packs then your computer is extremely vulnerable. All you have to do is just connect to the Internet and you can get infected immediately. So I don't doubt that you have the Spyware again, but it didn't live through wiping the hard-drive.

If you ever want to re-format again, I recommend going to the microsoft web site and ordering the Service Pack 2 CD. Installing XP, then installing Service Pack 2 with the CD prior to connecting to the Internet. Then immediately after connecting, go to the Microsoft website to install any critical updates available.

Service Pack 2 CD:
http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

But, if you're not wanting to re-format again, post a HiJackThis log for review.

Edited by bananafanafo, 21 April 2005 - 02:46 AM.

kinderdm

kinderdm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info, that makes a lot of sense, I had tried to install SP1 before connecting to the net off of a cd i had left over from the blaster virus thing but i guess thats not enough. I will try to get ahold of the SP2 cd and try that method. If for some reason that doesnt work i will try posting the log file. At this point i would actually rather reformat as the problems started immediately after i had already formatted on my own, which actually explains how i got it in the first place. Anyways thanks a lot for the quick response.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You're welcome. I'm going to go ahead and close this topic. If you would like your HiJackThis log reviewed in the future, you can just start a new topic. :tazz: