Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Freezes on Startup after Install

• Please log in to reply

nailpipe

nailpipe

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah so I just got Windows XP Professional and have installed it on my D drive, whereas Windows 2000 is on the C drive if that is significant at all, but when it starts to boot up (at the loading screen that says Windows XP) the computer freezes after about 30 seconds, after about 60 seconds the computer shuts off.

When I reboot there is a screen (black with white letters) that says something to the effect of: "Your computer recently shut down due to processor overheating" in many more words, I'm paraphrasing obviously.

My computer has never had any overheating problems before, only now. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional, which is what I'm using now

Please let me know what I can do to remedy this. Thank you!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hello nailpipe, welcome.

What is the make/model of your computer. Have you loaded the chipset drivers from the manufacturers web site for it?

Can you boot to Safe Mode?

nailpipe

nailpipe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, comp specs are:

not a Dell or anything, my dad's computer guy made it for us, so...that's all i know about that.
Intel Pentium 4 - 2.8 ghz
1.5 gigs of RAM
ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600

I'm not sure about the chipsets, I may have but it was probably a while ago and I forgot.

I haven't tried safe mode with XP, but 2000 safe mode works.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, need the make and model of the mother board. With that we can find the manufacturers web site and download and install the various XP drivers.

You can use Everest Home Edition to get this information. Install and run it and expand the Motherboard section.

nailpipe

nailpipe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Just tried safe mode in XP, same problem when it came to ...Drivers\mup.sys
Then it says "CPU recently shut down due to a thermal event (overheating) Service the unit right away to resolve"

Here's the motherboard info:

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Model: D865PERL then it says AAC40926-202
Chipset: Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P

nailpipe

nailpipe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Is this the site?

http://downloadcente.....mp;submit=Go!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm not sure how you got to that page but when I looked at the Intel site, I came to this page:

http://downloadcente.....mp;submit=Go!

It has two Chipset drivers:

#4 Chipset: Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility for Intel® Desktop Boards (2351KB) 8.4.0.1016 8/29/2007

#7 Chipset: Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility for Intel® Desktop Boards (2657KB) 6.3.0.1008 2/25/2005

I would go with the latest, #4.

It also has drivers for SATA Raid, LAN and Audio which you may want to download in case you need them.

nailpipe

nailpipe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i downloaded the drivers mentioned, except the SATA Raid, which said my hardware was not compatible.

Reset, the Windows XP load screen froze and I shut it off after about a minute. It didnt say it overheated, but it would have for sure.

Same problem.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm stumped at the moment. Will continue to research this to see if I can find anything that will help.

I've asked one of the other techs here to take a look and see if they can help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello nailpipe...

Interesting problem you've got here...

Go into the BIOS Setup and look under the "Boot" section. Locate the "Halt On" settings and set them to "No Errors". Save the settings when you exit BIOS Setup and see if it will boot to XP.

wannabe1

Advertisements

nailpipe

nailpipe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Went into BIOS and couldnt find the options you mentioned. The Boot tab said nothing but this: Silent Boot, Addon Rom Display mode, intel ® rapid BIOS boot, PXE Boot to LAN and USB Boot. Each of these say enabled or disabled, then there are four other setting options which were about CD-ROM drive and stuff.

Also I noticed that under Hardware Monitoring, the Processor Zone Temperature was 100 C/212 F (seems a little warm!) and system zone 1 was 51/123 and system zone 2 was 67/152

Edit: I cleaned an ungodly amount of dust out of the processor cooling fan and the whole inards of the computer. The temperature is down to 50 degrees c. Also, though the Windows XP load up screen still freezes, it no longer shuts off on its own and overheats, it just sits there forever or until I hit reset. Average temp is still 50 degrees celsius.

Edited by nailpipe, 19 January 2008 - 02:28 AM.

nailpipe

nailpipe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hate to have to bump this, but is there anything else I can do?

nailpipe

nailpipe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I reinstalled Windows XP, still nothing.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were there any errors presented during the installation?

nailpipe

nailpipe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
none, it seemed to go smoothly. Would it have stopped to tell me? Or would it just mention it briefly then keep going?