Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I transfer my OS?

• Please log in to reply

dudemanguy

dudemanguy

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have a perfectly good Win XP OS from a laptop that a friend gave me. The laptop is crispy now...... My problem is that I'm cheap and don't want to pay for another copy. I want to put this OS on a brand new machine I'm gunna build when I theoreticaly have already bought this copy. Is there a way to load this without complications? Recommendations? Ideas? Is it even possible? And please remember I am slow in the mind so be easy.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
OEM licences legally live and die with the machine they're stuck on - in your case, the laptop. Microsoft licences are distributed on the basis of one machine, one licence. Site licences (with appropriate obscene price tags) are available.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
When windows XP is installed on a machine it creates a unique number based on the hardware and that copy of XP.
This number is stored by Microsoft when the product is activated.
So if you install that copy of XP on a new machine you will not be able to activate it.
You can only use XP for 30 days with out activating it through Microsoft.
Thank you.