Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wants second monitor to show SAME view as first

• Please log in to reply

Gullefjun

Gullefjun

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!

I've got a portable computer with a small monitor. When working at home, I want to use my nice big separate 19'' monitor, and not have to look at all at the monitor of the laptop. (I've also attached an external keyboard and mouse to the laptop.) I'm running Windows XP Professional.

How do I do this? When opening Display and choosing Settings, you can click on the monitor with a 2 on it and activate it by also selecting "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". However, this just makes the desktop BIGGER so to speak - you can then drag windows onto the second monitor with you mouse.

This is not what I want. I want the built-in monitor of my laptop and the external monitor to show the SAME thing.

This is because I don't want to turn my head back and forth between the two monitors (sometimes when I click in the big monitor to open a menu, the menu itself show in the small monitor :tazz: ). I don't want windows to open in the small monitor, and me having to drag them into the big monitor every time. I want to be able to forget all about the small monitor, when working on my big monitor!

How do I do this? There ought to be a way. (Selecting "Use this device as my primary monitor" for monitor 2 also does not work - that just disables monitor 2.)

Thanks a million ;)

Henrik

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Most laptops (you didn't mention your model), will allow you to do this (if i understand what you are asking), by using function keys on the keyboard....for example on mine, Fn and F7 at the same time....did you look in your manual?

Gullefjun

Gullefjun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When I took an Electronics Lab course at Brandeis, there was a sign on the wall saying

"If everything else fails, read the instructions"

well... Thank you, Gerry! :tazz: It didn't occur to me that my computer might have a special key for this. After a couple of minutes of experimenting, I found the way to do it (Fn-F8).

I've got a PhD in AI, but some things are just too tricky... ;)

cheers
Henrik

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have a Phd in reading manuals :tazz: