Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC "freezing"

• Please log in to reply

dorsettaffy

dorsettaffy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Over the last couple of weeks I have had a problem with the screen suddenly "freezing". Using "Esc", "Ctrl, Alt and Del" or trying to put the PC to sleep does not free it. The only thing I can do is re-boot the PC. Any ideas please why this may be happening, and the best way to stop it.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In Control Panel > Administrative Tools look for Event Viewer. Open each of the options (application, security etc) and see if there are any red errors which are time corelated to the freeze. If there are, double click on the error and report the description.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after reporting any errors ...
In order to help you we need all the pieces of the puzzle...
What are your system components...if you dont know...get everest home here
and it will give you all the info...
did the problem just start or has it been going on for awhile..
did you recently add any new programs or hardware..
did you recently get any updates for any of your programs or any windows updates...

what are you doing when the problem happens...
the more info you can give us will help us to solve your problem ..

dorsettaffy

dorsettaffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The problem started about 10 days ago some time after downloading some new software, and MS up-dates.

Today I had been using the PC for abot 2.5 hours and then the system froze as I was earlier typing in this reply, and has happened again since, but there is nothing in the Event Viewer showing an error for either of those times.

However yesterday had the most error messages in the System Event Viewer as follows:

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
Error 18/01/2008 19:53:29 Service Control Manager None 7023 N/A ALUN
Information 18/01/2008 19:53:29 Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A ALUN
Information 18/01/2008 19:53:29 Service Control Manager None 7035 Alun Morrris ALUN

When I double clicked on Error I got the following:

"The Application Management Service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found"

Clicking on Information Event No 7036:
"The Application Management service entered the stopped state"

Clicking on Information Event No 7035:
"The Application Management service was successfully sent a start control"

This showed 20 episodes all with same date and time except for an increase from 19:53:29 to 19:53:39

The problem has occurred when I am using the internet, using MS Outlook and also when using Google Earth which is downloaded to my PC.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click start...run ...type in msconfig...uncheck everything except your AV and firewall...
if this is a laptop you will have to be careful or your touchpad and other things may stop working...just google each one to see what they are..
use the computer normally and see if the problem goes away...
no joy...
try this ...system restore...go back about a week BEFORE the problem started...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In addition to happyrck,

Uninstall the software that you installed, including the updates which can be removed in Control panel > Add/remove programs. Check the box "show updates", look at the dates of installation and remove those that were installed just before the freezing problem started.