Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help! stop error 0x40000080

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
stop error 0x40000080 (0x85D30668, 0x85c972b0, 0x80548D8c, 0x00000001)

okay, i have two computers setup with the same motherboard because when i got the first one the first time i hooked it up and it was great. now im having all sorts of problems with both of them.

anyways, ive done the disk checks and it comes up clean.
ive updated to the latest graphics driver and the nic drivers (still has a problem)
though i havent flashed the bios w/the latest utility yet because i dont have a floppy drive installed on any of my computers.

i know for a fact, sound and graphics card, and nic arent an issue. but when i searched the error on google thats what everyone was saying so i thought id give it a try. turns out they're all wasting their time ^_^

also while researching the stop error code i found this link

http://computing.net...rum/131520.html

another forum (i am not affiliated with them in any way nor am i supporting or endorsing them. i am a GTG loyalist thanks your guys awesome tech support). the guy has the same motherboard, and almost identical rig setup as mine, with the exact same problem.

flashing the bios didnt help any. as for this rig, i have stripped this one down as well. there is nothing connected in the usb, and no printer connected. ive been reading alot that the stop error is one that has to do with a printing error?

i played a 3d accelerated game and it worked fine with no problem (so ive ruled out overheating), but when i try to upload pictures on ebay, thats when the stop error occurs. i tried uploading the pictures at least 15 times trying different combinations of updating drivers and jes out of pure hope that it would jes go thru.

but anyways im hoping someone here has had this problem, and that they've got an answer for me.
if you got any suggestions please offer them, because i am at the edge of my seat and about ready to throw both my rigs out the window :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The most important aspect of troubleshooting a computer problem is always to ask yourself one question before doing anything else.

WHAT CHANGED?

You state that it was working fine, and now it is not. What did you do between fine and not?

Did you install a new driver? Service Pack 2? You seem confident it is not hardware...why?

And, just to be helpful, in the future, share info like what the motherboard was rather than make us go looking for it in a link to someone else's post in a different forum.

--------------------------------------

The reason people keep pointing to hardware is that this stop error 0x40000080 is common for hardware failures. This 0x40000080, however, is not.

Because your error is so rare, it is difficult to interpret the parameters, the first three look like memory addresses where the errors are occuring, and the last one is possible a write function (computer was writing to memory when it failed).0x00000000 is often a memory read function; 0x00000001 is often a write function.

That's a general, very general statement, in BSODs so don't take it as gospel.

(0x85D30668, 0x85c972b0, 0x80548D8c, 0x00000001)

The fact that it is occuring on two motherboards certainly points toward it as the cause. WHat BIOS version are you running? I am inclined to a memory timing issue.

In bios, what is your vga priority?

Also, what kind of memory are you using? Same in both?

You're greatest chance of success lies in persuing those two routes.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw, is this the same machine(s) as the other issue?

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
the vga setup in the bios for both is set to default (auto). the gfx on the one where you think is a hard drive problem is running off of a 9600 all in wonder.
as for this one, it is using the onboard gfx.

it just started happening out of the blue. as for the ram, im using two different kinds. They're both running pc3200. but one has a stick 512mb and this one is running a stick of 1gb.

these are two different computers.

from the time where it was fine, to where it started being faulty, i dont know what changed. otherwise i would have just rolled back or took a step back to how it was before.

as for the hardware setup. i think you may be right. i get a series of reboot errors upon every restart (even when i restart the computer voluntarily) that point to the gfx drivers (that i installed directly from the asus website). the solution to the symptoms say to decrease hardware setting or replace the video card. i reduced the hardware acceleration to none, disabled write combining, but i havent checked to see if i get any error yet (the only time it restarted on me when i went onto ebay to upload pictures).

*please note that both computers have two completely different problems.* the sp2 issue is way more severe and unbearable than this one.

im going to add an agp card to this one and hope that fixes the problem because that was my intention anyways (because i am bit of a gamer).

anyways thanks for all your help.
and as for the other problem with sp2, i have the two files you directed me to download. i guess the only question is what next?

kay well,
thanks again
kalian

Sudhir@Dell

Sudhir@Dell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, everybody there.

Here is an intresting fact about stop error 0x40000080.

If you are getting this stop error message most probably you are using Trend Micro Antivirus, you might also be using Vista with this program. This antivirus causes this stop error.
You can get the fix from the trend micro website. they give a different vesrion downloadable from the website.
Remember to copy your license key before removing the old version.

Regards..