Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem Using Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

burnout

burnout

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Everytime I try to run Winows Update I get the following message:

Error number: 0x80072EE7]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x80072EE7) yourself.

Iv'e been through all of the microsoft help to no avail. I downloaded and ran two programs, Fixware and Dial-a-Fix with no luck. Leaving my PC-Tools Firewall and AVG A-V disabled does not help. I've also run smitfraud with no luck either. Anyone got any ideas?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since when do you have this problem. Is it related in time to any software/hardware installation/uninstallation?

Is it the only site that gives you problems or are there any others?

Make sure that the site doe's not show in Restricted Sites in Internet Explorer. Make sure that there is an exception in your firewall.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
OPEN NOTEPAD...copy and paste the text between the lines ...
click on file...then...save as.. on the left side click on desktop...then in the file name box type in updates fix.bat then in the box below that save as type..all files...then click save...you should see a new icon on your desktop ...double click it to run it..then try updating windows again

===================COPY BETWEEN THE LINES=========

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll

======================================
should look like mine

Edited by happyrck, 18 January 2008 - 05:41 PM.

burnout

burnout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@ happyrck: Tried your suggestion, but it did not help. Greatly appreciate your help though. :)

@ The Skeptic: Now that I think about it, I did have a problem updating Comodo Firewall. It kept telling me to reinstall the app. I dumped it in favor of PC Tools Firewall. Of course, I uninstalled Comodo first. This was a week or so before Xmas. I don't believe I tried Windows Update at that time. I didn't use my computer much for about 10 days during the holidays, but I did find something else that is interesting. Spybot kept telling me I had something called Zlob.dnschanger on my pc. Spybot would fix it, then when running Spybot again it was always back! When I scanned using Adaware, Windows Defender, AVG Anti-Spyware, SUPERAntiSpyware or AVG AntiVirus it would not show up. None of them found it. My research while attempting to fix this shows that the error message (0x80072EE7) created at the Update Site may point to a dns problem. I think. Thanks for your help. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
TRY THIS...
click on start...run..type in ...cmd...press enter or click on OK...in the dos box type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter..
be sure you put a space between ipconfig and the /
type in exit
reboot

no joy...
try this..
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

no joy...

click on Start.... Run..... type in..services.msc ....click OK..

Automatic Updates ...Windows XP update won't function without this service. If you use Windows Update

server, you must have this service set to automatic. This does not mean that Automatic Updates are

turned on. This is just the base service. ...set it to Automatic

Background Intelligent Transfer ...Enables data transfer from HTTP1.1 servers. Windows Update website

may refuse to function if this is disabled...set it to Automatic

Cryptographic Services Used to check certifications of Windows drivers. If you have this service

disabled, you will end up getting frustrating amounts of uncertified driver warnings and Windows Update

may refuse to launch. set to it Automatic

reboot

Edited by happyrck, 19 January 2008 - 11:45 AM.

burnout

burnout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@ happyrck: No joy on all accounts. All services were already on auto and listed as started. Fun! Fun! Fun! :) Thanks again. I could always reformat but where's the fun in that?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My opinion is that you should post in the malware forum. As long as there is this unerasable zlob there is no point in keeping on the present path. Please use the link in my signature to the malware forum.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I agree with The Skeptic...if you have done all the steps and still can't get updates its malware...probably a wareout infection...