Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop turns on but wont load windows

• Please log in to reply

planebuilder

planebuilder

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi folks, I am new to this board, but i need your help. I have a compaq presario v2000 running windows xp and a celeron processor. Over the last few mos it will turn on and then just a blank screen...I can hear the fan or something running and the power light is on, but windows does not load. For a while it only did this occasionally, but recently it has done it just about every time you turn the computer on. I have found that if i remove the main battery and then push the battery back on it will start every time after doing this. Any help will be appreciated...thanks in advance.

louis

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Battery's probably shot. Shouldn't have to remove the battery every time.

planebuilder

planebuilder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks...might be...but it holds a charge and will run for over an hour on battery alone. So, do you still think a bad battery or maybe somthing else? Thanks again

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Could be a bad contact between battery and laptop but short of gently cleaning them with tissue this sort of issue tends to only get worse with time.

planebuilder

planebuilder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks a bunch....new battery it is. Have a good one

planebuilder

planebuilder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
cleaned battery contacts best I could....seems to have fixed the problem. I have turned it off and on like 20 times over the last couple of days. Thanks guys.