Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop icons

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I like to keep my desktop icons hidden but lately they are showing up when I boot the machine. I hide them each time using the right click on desktop method but on next boot they are back. Any ideas why?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to use this link to Kelly's Korner. Go to line 72, on the left, download and install. See if this help.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might try this, but one caution...Backup the Registry before editing:

To lock your desktop icons into place, first arrange it carefully the way you want it to be, then open up the registry editor.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD Value name NoSaveSettings and press the Enter key.

Right-click on the new NoSaveSettings item and select Modify. Enter 1 in the Value data box.

After this, whenever you restart Windows, your settings will return to their current state.

This is for experience users comfortable with editing the Registry.

Ron

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Major Payne that did the trick... thank you for the help. I am still at a lose of why it happened but as long as the icons stay hidden I can move on to other problem areas. Thanks again.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Know the relief of being able to move onto other things. :)

Ron