Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

os installation problems

• Please log in to reply

ladyofthewhitecity

ladyofthewhitecity

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've just built myself a new PC but i've been totally stumped by the errors I'm getting when trying to install the os.

Originally I was trying with 2 dvd drives (1 sata, 1 ide) and 3 HDD (all sata) , the first unformatted and the other two formatted with data on.

When i booted the computer the bios would run fine and all the devices were recognised. I set it so that the sata dvd drive would boot first, followed by the ide dvd drive and the 1st hard drive.

If I put my vista cd in however (admittedly not an original disk, but still one that has been used multiple times before quite happily) it tells me that a driver for the cd drive can't be found quoting the error code mscd001

Exactly the same error occurs if i connect only one (either) of the dvd drives.

I have my old pc around still and formatted the new hard drive, which made no difference, and if I try installing vista to the hard drive using the old computer it stops after it has detected my 2 dvd drives, waits for 15 minutes then tells me that there is a bad or missing Command Interpreter.

I've tried installing vista on the old machine which worked fine, so the disk is not dead, and it didnt come up as an upgrade either.

I tried installing vista onto the new hard drive, using the old machine while running it off my normal hard drive (using xp) however despite my selecting custom install and choosing the new hard drive it appeared to spread the installation across both drives (if i tried the new hdd in the new computer it did the same as before, if i tried the old hard drive in the new computer and chose vista it said it was missing certain files.)

On the otherhand if I put the old hard drive in the new computer and booted using xp it was fine (aside from asking for another online validation)

Can anyone suggest what the problem is and how to solve it?

If it helps the new pc is using:

ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz Socket 775 4MB Cache 1333MHz FSB
Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM
2x kingston 2gb ddr2 pc-6400 ram
MSI RX 2600XT 512MB GDDR3 Heatpipe silent Dual DVI TVO PCI-E Graphics Card
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Soundcard - OEM
LiteOn LH-20A1S 20X SATA DVD±RW/DL Black Bare Drive - OEM
LG GSA-H55NBAL 20x DVD±RW/DL/RAM IDE Black Bare Drive - OEM
Coolermaster IGreen 500W PSU - 85% Efficiency ATX12V v2.2 120mm Fan
Cibox C2201D 22" TFT 1680x1050 300cd/m2 1000:1 5ms DVI/HDCP
Coolermaster CM690 Dominator Black Mid Tower Case

It also uses my WD5000KS 500GB hdd from my old pc

The old pc is a dell dimension 9100 series (about 2.5 years old) with a p4 3.2ghz (64bit hyperthreaded one) with 1gb ram.

thanks

Edited by ladyofthewhitecity, 18 January 2008 - 07:28 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

The error: mscd001, indicates that there is a missing or currupt file on your CD. I suggest that you call MS and get a real Vista CD.

Edited by Titan8990, 18 January 2008 - 05:09 PM.