Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook express locks on send or address book

• Please log in to reply

wallypiper

wallypiper

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Outlook Express 6

6.00.2900.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Just ran update. No joy.

When I click on reply or new mail or the address book, OE locks up and eventually gets shut down with the send error report etc.

I can check and download mail OK.

In the "Contacts" window, it appears for a while to be constantly updating. The list is flickering and if I try to scroll down the list it just keeps snapping back to the top.

If I try to open the address book - Program not responding etc.

If I try to export the messages I get "The export could not be performed. An error occurred while initializing MAPI."

If I try to export the address book as MS exchange I get a very quick "Address book export process has been completed" but nothing else appears to happen.

If I export to CSV, I get a valid file that I can open in Excel and the data appears to be good.

In general, the program acts like its very busy with delays opening different folders and/or displaying the contents.

I have McAfee Security Center but have disabled

hmmm

I finally disabled all of McAffee including virus protection and the problem appears to be solved.

I'll experiment a bit more when I have some more time and report back. If anybody is already familiar with this problem, please post what you have found.

wally

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Haven't experienced it but since an AV program can do an active monitoring of incoming and outgoing email, I think I would uninstall/reinstall/repair mcafee (depending on what options you have, with repair being the best)