Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remove windows off second hard drive

• Please log in to reply

wburrough

wburrough

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey guys,

its been a while since i have had to post here. I have been having a [bleep] of a lot of problems with my computer that i will probably need further assistance with. For now, i would like to know if there is a special way i should go about deleting a second windows installation. I installed a second installation on my secondary hard drive (f:) while trouble shooting my computer. Now when i boot it try to default to that version and i have to hit down. I am now on my C: drive and i would like to know how i should go about deleting that second windows. i can see the folder just hanging out in the f: drive. should i just go ahead and give it the old right click>delete?

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wburrough...

That's part of it. Delete the Windows folder on the F: drive...but don't do it yet.

We'll need to edit the boot.ini file, too. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Select the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. Click the "Edit" button.

A notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

wannabe1

wburrough

wburrough

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you modified the boot.ini before...it's slightly non standard. If you are able to boot into the Windows on C:, it obviously works, but it has a little extra information tagged on the end of it and the fast detect and no optin tags are reversed. Is this something you have done purposely?

wburrough

wburrough

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
have never touched this before

wburrough

wburrough

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
this is an sata hard drive perhaps it has something to do with that....it was a mission for me to get this hard drive to work a while back when i installed windows originally.

* I have 3 hard drives

Edited by wburrough, 18 January 2008 - 07:24 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
None of the tags have anything to do with the drive being a sata.

I'll edit this back to standard and eliminate the reference to the second operating system. Copy the red text below and paste it in place of the current boot.ini text. Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close the boot.ini file and all other open windows. Reboot.

It should boot directly to the installation on the C: partition.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Let me know how it goes...

Note: This boot.ini file edit is specifically for this machine.

wburrough

wburrough

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok i edited the file and rebooed. All worked well. Whats next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now delete the Windows folder on F:. If it won't delete, make note of any file it tells you it can't delete...if there is a failure, it will likely be a java file that causes it and we'll have to find it and delete it a different way...

wburrough

wburrough

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
worked great. Thanks alot man.

I was also woundering if you knew why i am am getting a pmnnn.dll error when windows starts. If its not an easy answer dont worry i have to post this in the malware removal guide. i have reinstalled windows twice and i still have this virus following me around. I unziped a file the other day and that was the end of my comp for a while.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
pmnnn.dll is usually associated with malware...the experts in the malware forum should be able to get rid of that error for you. You've really got to be careful what you open these days and should back your data up to a separate drive as often as you can. Some of these nasties can force you into an unwanted format...or be incredibly hard to get rid of.

Glad I could help! :) And good luck in the malware forum...those guys and gals are the best.

wburrough

wburrough

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks again for everything.

plantface

plantface

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi i've also encountered the same problem although i was a little more rash and wiped the second OS off my second hard drive but dos is still giving me that stupid option and I would like not to have to press down each time i boot up my machine can you assist at all?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello plantface...

What drive was the installation on that you removed?

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Select the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. Click the "Edit" button.

A notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

wannabe1

plantface

plantface

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi wannabe1

the installation that i removed was on drive d: i'm running my os on drive c:. here the other requested information,

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Thanks

plantface