Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remove windows off second hard drive

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Replace your current boot.ini text with the text in red below. Click "File" on the toolbar and select "Save". Close all open windows and reboot.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It should boot directly Windows without the prompt.

Note: This boot.ini file edit is specifically for this machine.

Advertisements

plantface

plantface

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thankyou that worked a treat!

cableant

cableant

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, found this thread while searching for my problem

I am having a similar problem. I edited the boot.ini and got rid of the dos prompt. When trying to delete windows from my second drive
I can not get the system32 folder to delete. Right now I get a pop up saying "Flash9e.ocx" can not be deleted.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try disabling Adobe Flash Player and then try to delete it.

If that doesn't help, try removing the file using MoveOnBoot.

cableant

cableant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Try disabling Adobe Flash Player and then try to delete it.

If that doesn't help, try removing the file using MoveOnBoot.

Tried both with no luck. Then I read somewhere that you could just moved the file to "My Documents" and then it would delete.

Tried that and it worked for me. Don't know why but finally got rid of all the window files.

I had deleted every thing but the flash folder so I had to create a My Documents folder, but it worked.

bglee818

bglee818

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just came across this because I have the same problem. Can you please help me too? My boot.ini is:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Thanks!

cyberfang

cyberfang

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a similar problem. I want to save the data on my (E) drive. It has XP and possibly may be corrupted. Either way it may be preventing my computer from sleeping. I have Vista business on my Drive C. Thank you for your help.

AMR01

AMR01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello
I have a similar problem my daughter tried to load another version of windows on my computer which got corrupted half way through, now every time I log on it try to continue with this set-up. Is there anyway I can delete this

thombran

thombran

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Wannabe1, thought your expertise could help me with this one!

This is basically the situation: I just bought a new computer with Windows 7, after some manual insertion (of the technical sort), I managed to cram in a couple of hard drives, DVD-ROM drives, wireless card, etc. Turns out that my old C: which had windows XP is causing some problems. When I boot my new computer, the system logs on to Windows XP instead of 7 (it shows a blue screen of death before log in though). Anyways, I still have space on that drive and a couple of things here and there, I was thinking if I could remove windows xp, I can keep the drive as a slave. Any ways to wipe windows while leaving the data intact? Would the computer recognize it as a slave?

Thanks in advance,

Thom.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello thombran...

This is an old topic that I was no longer subscribed to...just happened to stumble on to it.

It sounds like you have the XP drive jumpered or cabled as a master. As a slave, it wouldn't present the boot instructions to the machine when it starts. It's blue screening right away because the drivers on the XP drive are not correct for the hardware in the new computer.

On the back of the hard drive containing XP, you should see a jumper block for setting the drive in various configurations. You need to place the jumper block over the pins corresponding to Slave. On most drives there is a diagram on the label showing these settings. Other drives have the positions pressed into the plastic over the jumper block. Slave is usually denoted as SL.

Once that's set properly, the drive needs to be connected to the center connector on the IDE ribbon.

After that the machine should boot to the drive that came with the new machine and see the old drive as a slave. To gain some extra space, the Windows folder on the XP drive can be deleted.

wannabe1

Advertisements

thombran

thombran

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello thombran...

This is an old topic that I was no longer subscribed to...just happened to stumble on to it.

It sounds like you have the XP drive jumpered or cabled as a master. As a slave, it wouldn't present the boot instructions to the machine when it starts. It's blue screening right away because the drivers on the XP drive are not correct for the hardware in the new computer.

On the back of the hard drive containing XP, you should see a jumper block for setting the drive in various configurations. You need to place the jumper block over the pins corresponding to Slave. On most drives there is a diagram on the label showing these settings. Other drives have the positions pressed into the plastic over the jumper block. Slave is usually denoted as SL.

Once that's set properly, the drive needs to be connected to the center connector on the IDE ribbon.

After that the machine should boot to the drive that came with the new machine and see the old drive as a slave. To gain some extra space, the Windows folder on the XP drive can be deleted.

wannabe1

Wannabe1,

Thanks for your reply. It turns out my hard drive was SATA, so naturally the slave/master was not an option, as I later found out (neither was IDE ribbon, my computer doesn't have any). After some googling and learning a bit about hard drive configuration, I was able to decipher what 'jumper block' means (as well as a host of other lingo). Nevertheless, I thought the best way to fix this was a trip down to the BIOS and mess around with the boot settings, and it worked like a charm. Now Windows 7 displays my old C: as a slave, and currently deleting WINDOWS (thanks for the tip!).

Again, thank you for your reply, if it were not for you I wouldn't know where to begin. So if anybody has the same issue, just remember that if you want to transport your old hard drive to a new computer, and if it is a SATA drive, the best way is to simply change the boot priority in the BIOS menu.

Best regards.

Judenille

Judenille

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey.. i know this tipic is old but help will be much appreciated. Well, can anyone help me plz. How do i remove windows off my old HD.. :S i want to use it as storage only.. Its has Windows 7 installed and i cant boot into it because it has some problem. My current HD has windows Vista Ultimate, can i erase windows 7 using vista?

Thank you for your Attention.

Edited by Judenille, 08 October 2010 - 07:39 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Judenille

Please start your own topic as this will get you assistance faster.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Micheal Yossett

Micheal Yossett

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi i have two computers and i was trying to take the hard drive out off my old one and put it in my new computer for more room. it keeps on trying to load the windows that is on the old hard drive i would like to know if there is a way to take the windows off my old hard drive and make the old one where it storge thing

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Micheal Yossett

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

This way it will be easier to help you.