Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Re-boot loop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I built a new computer about 8 months ago and it worked fine. About 2 weeks ago it got stuck in a boot loop. It boots through the bios, then gives me a screen that says windows did not start correctly and gives me the safe mode, safe mode with networking, windows normal...screen. No matter what I select it starts the win xp splash screen and when the timer bar gets about 60% through start the computer re-boots and starts again. I couldn't fix it two weeks ago (tried with boot disk and dos command repairs to no avail) so I re-installed win xp w/sp 2, all the programs and data back-up. It worked fine for one week then last night started doing the same thing again. Any ideas what's going on? I'm using an AMD Athalon 64 processor, Hitachi 250 GB SATA HDD, 2 GB RAM, 250 MB PCI-E video. Thanks!

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
Hi pkees, welcome.

Did the problem occur right after you did a Windows Update? Do you have Windows Update set to run automatically?

I came up with the following after looking at what is currently on my computer. It may not work at all if the updates are compressed, which it appears they are (blue color).

What I would try is boot my UBCD4WIN (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows) CD and use it to see which are the latest updates installed. Look in C:\Windows. Look at the dates on all \$NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$ folders. Once you find the most recent ones, open each in turn and then open the Spuninst folder then look at the spuninst.txt file. This has the steps needed to remove the update.

Remove them one at a time and try booting or remove all the most recent and try it.

EBCD or UBCD should work just as well. You need to build UBCD4WIN, the other two are downloadable CD iso images.

This is what spuninst.txt looks like for KB941644:

DEL "c:\windows\$hf_mig$\kb941644\sp2qfe\tcpip.sys"
COPY "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB941644$\tcpip.sys" "c:\windows\system32\dllcache\tcpip.sys"
COPY "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB941644$\tcpip.sys" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys"
COPY "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB941644$\spuninst\spuninst.txt" "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB941644$\spuninst\spuninst.tag"

I don't know, nor can I find any useful reference via Google, what spuninst.tag is. I believe that copying just the files, in this case just tcpip.sys, will remove the update, the rest is probably housekeeping.

Worth a try. If all else fails you can reinstall again then be very careful what updates you apply, an DO NOT apply any device driver updates from the Windows Update site. Always do that from the computer or device manufacturers website.